Hardy Spicer

bushwhacker

I've taken the rear drive shaft of to put in a new spicer. Can the vehicle still be driven for a few mile with the rear drive shaft off, I've put it in diff lock to get drive at the front? Will it whind up the front diff?

I presume you are talking about removing the rear propshaft. As you know, the disco is permanent 4wd, and as such a sinlge prop is not designed to carry full engine torque for any length of time. However, providing you are aware of this, and go easy on the throttle, then this will not cause any damage for a few miles.

You can can drive with only the front propshaft and center diff locked, no problems.

The propshafts are designed to take the full engine torque multiplied by the lowest gearbox ratio, multiplied by the transfer box low ratio and all this while the vehicle is going on the steepest incline possible and potentially losing traction on one of the axles (center diff locked).

The high ratio in the transfer box is 1.22 while the low ratio is 3.321. So if you'll drive in High with only one propshaft, the max torque it will have to take is lower than when you have both propshafts and the transfer box in Low.

To cut a medium length story short. A RRC fitted with a single propshaft fitted was still strong enough to pull the front off a trooper, as Isuzu made them too awkward to just cut off with a grinder. Thought I was taking it steadily rather than doing the sterotypically bad KERR recovery techinque that F1 lanch control engineers would be proud of.

It may have sounded like a silly or stupid question to some people, but it was genuine. The spicer was past it's best, rattling and crunching. I thought it better to take the shaft of and spicer out. And then thought can it still be driven and not cause any more damage? I've also found it better to take the old parts with me when getting replacements.

Big thanks again