4hp22 problems...

Hendrik

I'm Running a 4hp22 on a 3.9 megasquirted V8, bought the engine from a chap who said engine gearbox were still good (I drove the rrc but was first time with autobox so couldn't really compare... was a late RRC in pretty good condition but with rear damage on the bodywork).

We installed the engine and gearbox with a dedicated air oilcooler (without fan) and an lt230 transferbox in the truck. After a year of hard work, 2 weeks ago it was the first test without problems but when we came home we had to "raise" the revs before the autobox wanted to change gears which was already strange. Due to a lack of time we could only check it today but the truck wasn't moving anymore when we put it in no mather what gear.

things we checked:

-oillevel was ok (maybe a bit to much but not a lot)

-shiftercable isn't broken

-engine still runs perfect...

What could this be? We run 39" tyres on the truck, but with a reduction of 6.5 in the diffs so shouldn't have an effect on the gearbox.

Thx for your advise!

H.

P.S. still doubting to change to lt85 manual... :unsure:

I'm Running a 4hp22 on a 3.9 megasquirted V8, bought the engine from a chap who said engine gearbox were still good (I drove the rrc but was first time with autobox so couldn't really compare... was a late RRC in pretty good condition but with rear damage on the bodywork).

We installed the engine and gearbox with a dedicated air oilcooler (without fan) and an lt230 transferbox in the truck. After a year of hard work, 2 weeks ago it was the first test without problems but when we came home we had to "raise" the revs before the autobox wanted to change gears which was already strange. Due to a lack of time we could only check it today but the truck wasn't moving anymore when we put it in no mather what gear.

things we checked:

-oillevel was ok (maybe a bit to much but not a lot)

-shiftercable isn't broken

-engine still runs perfect...

What could this be? We run 39" tyres on the truck, but with a reduction of 6.5 in the diffs so shouldn't have an effect on the gearbox.

Thx for your advise!

H.

P.S. still doubting to change to lt85 manual... :unsure:

Did you try reverse when you tried all the gears?

Did you try high and low in transfer box

Is the transfer box engaged in either high or low?

Did you try reverse when you tried all the gears?

Did you try high and low in transfer box

Is the transfer box engaged in either high or low?

yep tried R N 3 2 1, transfercase in H & L difflock off and on but still nothing...

Thx

H.

Sounds similar to mine See here. According to Ashcrofts there is a drive member inside the box that fails and leads to complete loss of drive.

Can this problem be solved? or new gearbox only option?

I have a spare autobox in my garage but no Idea in what condition it is, what are the things to check to know this?

thx

H.