Bad Vibes

cress

Hi all,

coming back home last weekend down M6, I noticed a bad steering vibration at about 70 MPH. I accelerated to see if it dissapeared at higher speed, this was not the case, it made it worse, and it seemed like the whole car was shaking. I have looked at front bearings etc. They seem ok, the tyres have been on about 3 years and are due for change (Avon AT's). The nearside tyre does seem to be wearing unevenly.

Question is; Has anyone come across similar, have I missed something, am I looking in right place etc etc.

Thanks in advance

Ivan

I'd suggest to have the tyres changed and properly balanced first, do a test drive and then come back if the steering vibration is still there. If I were you I'd also investigate the cause of the uneven wear on the tyres and I'd start with a wheel alignment check (which is recommended when buying a new set of tyres anyway).

Hi all,

coming back home last weekend down M6, I noticed a bad steering vibration at about 70 MPH. I accelerated to see if it dissapeared at higher speed, this was not the case, it made it worse, and it seemed like the whole car was shaking. I have looked at front bearings etc. They seem ok, the tyres have been on about 3 years and are due for change (Avon AT's). The nearside tyre does seem to be wearing unevenly.

Question is; Has anyone come across similar, have I missed something, am I looking in right place etc etc.

Thanks in advance

Ivan

I developed a similar but intermittent problem with unidentified and at times severe vibration. I looked at the usual culprits on several occasions but nothing was obvious and I ignored it. Very foolish as eventually the steering pinched, (a first), preventing me from taking a curve. Thankfully it was in the middle of nowhere and I was able to safely pull over. Long story short it turned out to be the steering box which was progressively working it self loose. HTH

Olly