TD4 non starter help please

Billy Whizz

Hi all just had a TD4 52 plate come in at work non starter those men in the yellow vans say fuel pump as it starts with a little sniff of easy start but after disconecting fuel pipe we have fountain of fuel so would seem ok

Glowplug light lights up but goes out with engine management light after a few seconds should this be longer??

Have plugged into my mac tools scanner but has no faults stored i would like to get sorted as cheap as poss as its my mates motor so if any of you have had simular probs please help

Billy

Billy Whizz,

easiest thing to check straight away is the glowplugs, the warning light operates wether or not the plugs are. Check with a voltmeter or easier still a 12v bulb, get an assistant to operate ign key to on,voltmeter will register a low reading for a second or so, then rise to battery voltage[13.5v] then drop to zero when the timer shuts off. If the engine fires up on a quick squirt of the dreaded ringbuster known as easystart i would definately check out glowplugs first

HTH