Purveyors of Head Lining Material

Guest DiscoTD4

Guest DiscoTD4

I'm going to replace the head lining in my Disco, can anyone recommend any retailers that can supply the necessary material ?

Cheers

Guest DiscoTD4
I went to a regular car upholstry place. They normally have a good selection of fabrics that can be used. I went for a one sided foam construction...it came out perfect.

cool, presumably you removed the headlining shell to recover - did you have any issues making sure the shell was was at the correct straighness/level when covering ?

I'm concerned that if I lay the shell on a flat floor and cover, when I come to fit the shell it may need to bend slighly to follow the roof contour and I end up with slack in the covering (or the opposite).

Any tips on glue used or gotchasa removing / fitting the head lining ?

Cheers

cool, presumably you removed the headlining shell to recover - did you have any issues making sure the shell was was at the correct straighness/level when covering ?

I'm concerned that if I lay the shell on a flat floor and cover, when I come to fit the shell it may need to bend slighly to follow the roof contour and I end up with slack in the covering (or the opposite).

Cheers

Did this job on the cheap by refixing the material on a RRC. It has failed after a year. Impact adhesive is the right choice, but you MUST clear all of the remaining foam from the headlining shell. I didn't and the same failure mode came back. I am going to do this job again as I hate the saggy lining. Will be very interested as to a source for the foam back material. Removal is awkward (Bulky) but straightforward enough to do on a RRC

RR

Alternately, see if you can get a headlining from a 200 series disco, as they weren't cloth covered, and therefore don't sag.

I can supply a headlining if you want to come and get it out yourself im in Shropshire.

£35?

Cheers

It's the fabric that Rover used it's self that de-laminates...not the adhesives. Before appying the new liner I used a hard nylon nail brush to remove the old layer of foam from the shell. It's a messy job and one to be done outside.

I used Bison impact adhesive...called Evostik in the UK I beleive. The head lining was quite easy to handle and I haven't noticed any irregular stretching/bending when fixing the new fabric.

My headling is Tan colour...keep clean hands when refitting and get a few mates to help support it whilst your fixing it in. I'm taking mine out again soon to fit an over head radio console.

Guest DiscoTD4

many thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the offer but I'm going to have a go at trimming the existing roof lining

Cheers