Defender 110 1994 200TDi Model

Hi , This is my first post , I have a defender 110 200TDi 94 model when I`m going thought the gears there seems to be a clunck from under the body , it also happens in reverse gear .

Is it worth getting fixed ., or do I just keep driving it as is and hope I get many more miles out of the defender.

Thanks Stewart

If it is the input gear, when it does, it'll probably mangle the input shaft on the gearbox, which'll mean pulling the gearbox apart to change the shaft, or getting a new box.

If you pull the PTO plate off the transfer box you can withdraw the gear and examine for wear.

A cross drilled gear is available from Ashcrosfts for about £45

There are lots of other things that clunk in a 110. Rear A frame bush, drive members, props, Salisburies. Best determine what is causing the clunk and take it from there.

(Edit to add, welcome to the forum :) )

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Gromit; there are many potential causes of the symptom you describe. A couple are serious and expensive but, happily, most aren't. If you can, get the vehicle up on a wheels-free lift so you can investigate more easily. At one point I thought the gearbox of my old Discovery was going but it turned out only to be worn suspension bushes....

Good luck with it!

Phil.