gear box

bushwhacker

My 4 speed does the above but will stay in if held in by hand by my co pilot. Basicly how is a series box taken out.

I have recently changed the clutch on my 110, with advice from guys on this forum and it went well.

Is there a 5 speed box I could put in, it's a 2.5na ldv engine.

Regards Mark

I'm guessing your vehicle is a series 3. If it doesn't have a removable transfercase mounting crossmember then the normal method of removing the transmission is to reomove the complete seat box assembly and floor panels to gain access to all the bits and bobs before removing trans from the inside of the vehicle. This method is madness, tedious and time consuming. The way I do it is to separate the transfercase from the main box from under the vehicle, and then with just the floor panels removed take the main box out through the inside. I'm sure that there are others on this forum that also do it this way, and there may actually be a step by step guide in the tech archives somewhere.

If yours is a LWB an Lt77/R380 gearbox and LT230 transfercase from a deisel Defender would probably be the most practical option to gain a five spd with much improved reliability over the series transmission.

Bill.