Series III automatic transmission swap

sombre1

Hello,

I am considering installing an autobox in my series 3 diesel; does anyone know if an automatic and transfer case from a 1997 Discovery will fit?

Of course there is bound to be tons of mods necessary, but I am prepared for this. I just want to know if the auto/transfer case assembly from a disco are significantly longer, or are the drive locations out of wack with the differentials of a series, etc

By-the-way, my series runs an Audi three cylinder, A2 turbo diesel. This is a great engine for the series vehicle. It has 105 hp and 195 ft lbs torque (it's been chipped), it's all aluminum, even the block. This engine saves about 100 lbs over the stock petrol engine that came out and is much more powerful. I haven't actually meassured the 0-60 time, but it is certain to be much quicker (the old series petrol would barely get to 60 mph at all!). I get 56 mpg at 55 mph on the motorway, maybe the best miles per gallon of any series vehicle, ever.

Anyway, I don't mind losing 10-15% if I don't have to shift. Besides, an auto is much more fun off road and with all the extra power and lighter weight, this will be a great combination.

By-the-way, the Audi diesel is way quieter than the old petrol, with virtually no vibration! With an autobox it will be like driving an electric car with lots of power.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

David

David,

I can't answer your question though I'm sure others will be along soon but for someone who's got an A2 TD in their series I'd have thought you'd have no bother.

Welcome to the forum and nice to see something a bit different. 56mpg from a series, think I need to go lie down.