Converting from 727 to ZF Auto

Half Orange

I have a 3sp Torqueflite in my RRC, and am considering fitting a ZF 4sp at some stage. I'm guessing this is going to be a lot of work, but as both boxes are factory fit, it should be possible to do. Parts I can see me needing will be:

ZF box,

LT230 to match ZF box (727 has a 1:1 ration LT230),

Torque convertor from ZF,

kickdown cable,

front and rear props.

Any ideas if the gearbox mounts are the same for both boxes?

Will the hedgehog cooler from the 727 fit the ZF?

Cheers,

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, i am planning the same swap very soon along with a 4.4 ltr leyland V8. From what i have found the zf will bolt straight in place of the tf727 using the same transfer case but mounts are slightly different, get the brackets with the zf if you can they use the same mounting holes in the chassis. The early zf cars use the same dunny brush oil cooler so as long as you have the zf lines it will all fit. The higher ratio's in the tf t/case will only help reduce revs on the highway and wont be any slower than it was with the tf - not that it is possible !

Hi, i am planning the same swap very soon along with a 4.4 ltr leyland V8. From what i have found the zf will bolt straight in place of the tf727 using the same transfer case but mounts are slightly different, get the brackets with the zf if you can they use the same mounting holes in the chassis. The early zf cars use the same dunny brush oil cooler so as long as you have the zf lines it will all fit. The higher ratio's in the tf t/case will only help reduce revs on the highway and wont be any slower than it was with the tf - not that it is possible !

So I'll need the flex plate and torque convertor fromn the ZF too. BTW, I asked Ashcroft in the UK if it couold be done, and this is what I got back by way of reply:

" Is it possible to swap this box for the later ZF?

Yes, but you will also need to change :

flexplate/ starter ring assy

autobox and torque converter

LH mount

oil cooler & pipes

shifter & trim

dipstick and filler tube

transfer case, you will need 1.222 ratio, hi/lo mount

you will also need to make a linkage to pull the kickdown cable,

regards

David Ashcroft

www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk