Power Steering leak

Damon

Hi All

I have acquired a leak on the hose between the pump and the box, pump end. The fluid is pumping out between the threads of the fitting end.

I have put a new O ring on the fitting (RTC4825) (also tried RTC 4826) , and the fitting looks undamaged, but it is still leaking just as bad.

Any further Ideas?

Many thanks

Damon

Guest noggy

put some plumbers tape on it, if its not damaged and your fitting the correct part, theres not a great deal you can do.

go to your local plumbers depot and get some of the really thin tape, that should cure it.

put some plumbers tape on it, if its not damaged and your fitting the correct part, theres not a great deal you can do.

go to your local plumbers depot and get some of the really thin tape, that should cure it.

DOH!! Never thought of that. I will go get some.

PTFE tape didn't fix it, and it does in fact look like its coming out between the collar nut and the pipe, not the threads.

It seems to me that if the o ring is sealing as it should, then there shouldn't be fluid there, but I have fitted 2 new o rings and can't stop the leak??

Damon

Yes, I am resigned to getting a new hose for it, although I am struggling to see how it could have worn in the fitting to the point of serious leakage.

The hose goes from a steel angle at the pump, into rubber, and then into a longer section of steel pipe at the box. I can't work out from Microcat whether this is all one replacement unit. Can anybody advise?

Damon

Im not 100% sure but i would imagine its all one piece simply because its a hydraulic fitting and has to be able to withstand the pressure.You may be able to get it recrimped but i suspect its just as cheap to buy a new or good used one.

hope this helps

Warren

UPDATE..........

The power seering hose is no longer made or stocked by Land Rover, and I couldn't find any pattern parts. I took the hose off and took it to Pirtek in Swindon. They pressure tested it and identified an invisible crack in the rolled lip of the hose end. Originally they were going to make me a new hose complete (they reckoned about £55), but they soon realised that their pipe bender couldn't form the steel pipe into a tight enough bend to clear my alternator bracket. (they could send it off to another depot over a day or two if I really needed a new one), and so they suggested a silver solder repair.

The upshot is they have solder repaired the fitting, I have fitted it and is now fluid tight........ for £5 all in, including new O Rings.

Really good service from Pirtek in Swindon.

Damon