Headliner replacement

I'm just getting my bits together to fit a TD5 defender speedo and instrument panel etc in my 1991 van.

Also going to fit some extra gauges.

The best place for these gauges is probably in the centre where the radio is.

Don't want to loose the radio so was thinking of mounting it on the roof in some sort of roof mounted console. But they cost a fortune.

Also my headliner is just about dead and looks really tatty.

I've got some new car carpet in my shed which was gonna go to another vehicle. Anyone ever made a new headliner from car carpet ?

If so how did ya fit it to the roof?

I re-used the old headliner 'boards' and re-surfaced it with stretchable fabric. If you want to glue anything to the roof, make sure your glue can take the heat of being fried by the sun's rays beating onto the other side of the roof.

I had to change the fabric twice because of using the wrong glue.

As I re-used the headliner, I thought it was best to brush a silicone roof sealant against the inside of the roof, to prevent the condensation building up there. (This is what causes the stream of water hitting your leg in the morning coming from the inside of the gutter.) Had no issues with this ever since.

Good luck.

Guest diesel_jim

I've got the plans at home for a DIY roof console, it's the template for the side panels.

i'll post them up later.

I re-used the old headliner 'boards' and re-surfaced it with stretchable fabric. If you want to glue anything to the roof, make sure your glue can take the heat of being fried by the sun's rays beating onto the other side of the roof.

I had to change the fabric twice because of using the wrong glue.

As I re-used the headliner, I thought it was best to brush a silicone roof sealant against the inside of the roof, to prevent the condensation building up there. (This is what causes the stream of water hitting your leg in the morning coming from the inside of the gutter.) Had no issues with this ever since.

Good luck.

I wish I had known what yellow has suggested. I took out old headliner in my truck cab - (which was a cut down from a 90/110 hard top) and washed it with Autoglym interior cleaner I think and a karcher - i too wanted to reglue and despite trying a recommended spray it fell down. The adhesive was claimed to be for car related commercial use but the roof as a 'frying pan affect' is I suspect the problem here -

I also tried putting insulation under but then realsied it would get condensation - silicone sealant is great idea - so ended up putting lining back - it strangley fitted without adhesive - washing shrank it?

Radio in roof is OK unless have tall passengers and I also think its another object to hit when off-roading.

Good luck

chrisp

Very smart !

I took the cheap option on advice from a mate - got a couple of camping mats from Halfords dirt cheap and no-more-nails'd them to the roof. Works a treat. Only for an off-roader, probably not what you'd want on a decent looking motor though...