oil spots from a machined out hole

uazvet

hi guys quickie newbie question that the haynes manual doesnt shed light on. from an underside view sandwiched between sump and cat is a casing, i guess its part of the auto trans, but from casing there appears to be a machined out hole in the shape of a rounded off rectangle no bigger than 4-5 mill, from this hole i notice black oil spots on the driveway, just a couple but odd nevertheless. I am querying mainly because a) this is the first leak! B) just done a pretty hard 3000km journey and c) this is coinciding with what sounds like an exhaust rattle under revs yet there is no sign of loose fitting or holes? Strange. If it is auto casing why black oil when dipstick shows healthy red colour and why a machined out hole that seems to serve no purpose???

thanks in advance

Engine oil leaking from the seal on the back of the crankshaft. It is an engine or gearbox out job to fix it so if it isn't too bad I would put up with it till it gets a lot worse :)

i'll stop looking under the thing in future and leave well alone :) thanks for feedback bogmonster.

post-9210-1215439470_thumb.jpg