Travelling in and around the Ardeche region of France

Orange

This year, our summer holiday takes us to the Ardeche region of France for a week in mid-to-late September. We’ll be taking the Disco 2 which isn’t exactly a fully overland-prepped vehicle, but it managed at Seven Sisters in the July rain on AT tyres!! There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum about European travel, so I thought I’d tap into it.

The first and last days will be a bit of a trek to get down/back, but other than that we have no plans at the moment. We are staying near the village of Barjac.

I’m after some ideas of good maps and/or guides for the area as there are loads to choose from and I haven’t a clue what’s good and what’s not. We’re not looking for the extreme stuff, but if there are any good places to go or scenic routes to take (not necessarily off-road) then I’m all ears... We are after seeing the off the beaten track/less touristy side of the area whilst there, although we only have a week.

Any help and guidance would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian

Hi Orange, i worked down there for quite some time, a beutifull area, there are many camp sites within 10/15 mins drive of Barjac. If you decide to do it off the cuff, when you arrive ask a local for "chez Hans" , Han's bar he is as mad as a fish but an absolute star and there is very little around there that he does not know about !!!

You probably already know, but whilst you are there make a point of visiting the "Arc" at Vallon.

Regards Steve.