Heavy brake pedal

Guest DiscoTD4

Guest DiscoTD4

Hi - I bought an 97 model TDi300 auto a few months ago. The last one I had on this model was 13 years ago and I can't remember if the brakes felt the same as this one, but here's my query:

If I stamp on the pedal, al la 'emergency breaking' style, I get an escaping air sound and the pedal feels as it it's pushing against air pressure. It's not soggy, like you get when air in the hydraulic system, but rather feels like the pedal is fighting against an air resistance. Also you have to stand on them pretty hard if you need to stop sharpish. The pads/disks are in good condition, the brake fluid has been changed throughout, the calipers are not sticking, I get even breaking/heating on all four wheels, the pedal shaft is lubricated and not sticking.

Does this sound normal for a TDi300 auto or is there a problem I should be investigating ?

Any experiences shared appreciated

Cheers

Guest DiscoTD4

Hi Pete, so by the sounds of it, I need to roll up the sleeves again then !

There is a reasonable suck from the vacuum pump - at tick over speed - if I disconnect the vacuum pipe where it connects to the servo, but not sure if it's normal or not.

With the engine off, are you aware of a whoosing / escaping air noise each time you stamp on the brake pedal - mines quite noticeable ?

Cheers