Corrosion on my 90 loadbed floor

Hi chaps,

I removed the rubber mat and soundproof mat from the loadbed of the 90 to fit some of the marvelous mobilestoragesystems kit and found near the tailgate has a lot of ali corrosion - the white powdery stuff.

I'm surprised to find this here because I didn't think there was anything there to cause it to corrode.

could the silver backing of the heavy soundproof mat have caused it?

And more importantly, how do I cure it now and protect it for the future.

The landy is a truck cab and I'd like to finish the bit between the new drawer and the loadbed edge with a piece of rubber matting - just in case it makes any difference - although thats not absolutely necessary if I can do a decent paint job.

I have been considering speedliner for the back tub, is this the time to do it to stop this corrosion?

Ta.

Ian

Guest WALFY

Have a look underneath the tub and see if the corrosion lines up with the strenghtening ribs there. IIRC there should be 3 bibs under the tub. Only way to cur is to remove the ribs and replace but ensuring that you have a suitable material between the ribs and the tub to stop further corrosion.HTH

Have a look underneath the tub and see if the corrosion lines up with the strenghtening ribs there. IIRC there should be 3 bibs under the tub. Only way to cur is to remove the ribs and replace but ensuring that you have a suitable material between the ribs and the tub to stop further corrosion.HTH

Thanks for the info Walfy. I'll check tonight but I think the only ribs run front to back and this is at the edge nearest the door, running left to right, so I'm not sure I'll find anything.

One thing though, is it likely the rubber mat holding water underneath would have contributed, or the metalic heatshield material on the back of the accoustic/insulation mat?

mmm, or could it be the metal strips that run along the very edge lip - are they for holding down carpet/matting?

I'm thinking of rubbing down the 6 inches or so that will show when the drawer is in place, then repainting it, then putting a strip of rubber down again. Can't see any problem with that, can you?

sorry about the million questions, but thanks for your help :D

Guest WALFY

The strengthening ribs run left to right. Just checked mine there are 3.

The white powder is the ali breaking down. It has nothing to do with water. It's the reaction of 2 dissimilar metals. Do you have any pics of the corrosion? With a pic we can all help more :rolleyes: .

The strengthening ribs run left to right. Just checked mine there are 3.

The white powder is the ali breaking down. It has nothing to do with water. It's the reaction of 2 dissimilar metals. Do you have any pics of the corrosion? With a pic we can all help more :rolleyes: .

have you got the metal strip which goes across the leading edge of the floor (I know its on all csw & vans) not sure if its used on truck cabs - but that is metal and could be causing it - as ^^^need pictures really