inner wing repair/replacement

Mark

More disco distress I'm afraid. What is it about all this steel bodywork???? :(

Anyway, The o/s inner wing on my disco is disintegrating in more places than I think is healthy. Does anyone do a repair section or do I have to fabricate somethinf myself?

I have found repair sections for the other normal rusty bits (mine has them all with extra rust on top) ie Sills, and Rear floor, but cannot find inner wing sections. Are tey the same as Rangie ones?

Cheers

Mark

Are tey the same as Rangie ones?

Cheers

Mark

Yep.

Identical to Classic RR inner wing. There is a separate angle section which bolts along the top (the RR wing/bonnet profile is different to the Disco) I don't have the part no to hand - but it's a simple "L" section and can be easily fabricated.

Matt

'L' profile repair strips are available from any panel supplier for around £7 for a metre length. If the corrosion extends below the battery tray, then it gets a bit awkward. The necessary panels to replace inner wing/battery tray (and in some cases) headlamp support panel, will set you back £180 or thereabouts. Got pics somewhere of a Rangy I had to do. I'll dig them up hopefully tomorrow.

Les. :)

Les,

Pictures would be great. I came to the conclusion that something needen to be done when I discovered there isn't actually any metal left between the light panel and the inner wing.... :huh::huh:

Sounds expensive though. :blink::huh: Paddocks sell a RR inner wing repair section for £45 + vat. How did you get to £180??? What am I missing?

Cheers

Mark

Edited by Mark

I made my own panels out of galvanised steel, a bit more difficult to weld, but should last. Take the wing off and have a look at the steel work behind the wing panel, be prepared for a shock.

Get new plastic "rivets" for the plastic mud protector, they are a pig to re-use.

My MOT man wasn't sure if they were a failure, but suggested I do them anyway.

If you go to your local heating duct manufacturer they will have a skip full of off cuts of galvanized steel.

Slip the guy who is standing nearest the roller shutter door a fiver and he will let you go into the skip and recycle all those offcuts. Then he will do the bends for you on the bending machine. Well, he did for me anyway, it pays to be old and wearing dirty jeans with holes in sometimes.

Steptoe

Well it seems I have mislaid a few pictures. nearest I have on file is a Range Rover and then not all of them.

The drivers side inner wing was ok, but the other was badly rotted. passenger footwell, and both rear arches - to the extent that even the seat belt mounting strengthening plate had rotted through.

med_gallery_2_46_631979.jpg

The owner didn't know the footwell was rotten until I showed him.

med_gallery_2_46_818557.jpg

The inner wing was rusted and holed right from the bulkhead to the battery tray (if it was RHD)

med_gallery_2_46_218376.jpg

Last one showing the body repair to the arch. The plates on this vehicle were both around 9-inches by 6.

The hole for the seat belt bolt had to be drilled, a new nut welded to a 3mm thick plate, and then welded to the underside. No more pictures, I definitely had them.

med_gallery_2_46_262926.jpg

The washer bottle is very awkward to remove - the stupid nuts thar are gripped in the plastic take virtually no effort at all to spin, and you need to get at the head of the bolts from inside the wheel arch.

The price I would have got would have been for new panels to repair the disco - inner wing,battery tray, and headlamp rear panel.

If I remember, it took 2-days to do this job. It was almost not worth it.

Les. :)