Disco 1 c.v. joint change.

Tomas4x4

Hi,

I've finally got round to changing my o/s c.v joint on my '96 300tdi disco, it arrived in the post this morning, but im not entirely sure what the job entails, so if anyone here has done it before and has got any tips or pointers it will be much appreciated!

Also will I need any special tools?

Cheers.

Tom.

Only special tools are a pair of circlip pliers. You need to strip it right down to remove the stub axle, so wheel off, drain the swivel housing, hub cap, circlip and shims, then drive flange, wheel bearing locknut/tab washer/inner nut/thrust washer. Then remove the two bolts that hold the caliper to the swivel housing, lever the pads away from the disc a small amount and either disconnect the brake pipes or carefully bend them so that the caliper is clear of the brake disc. The hub/disc assembly will then slide off the stub axle (careful that the front wheel bearing doesn't fall out). Undo the bolts that hold the stub axle to the swivel housing (you may have to tap it with a hammer to break the gasket lock). The CV joint/driveshaft assembly will then pull out of the swivel housing.

The CV joint and driveshaft are two seperate items and to seperate them - keep the assembly as straight as possible and then whack the back of the joint cup - close to the shaft as possible, and the two should seperate. It may take a few goes to do this, and you may end-up belting the hell out of it.

Les.

A siily thing, but if your doing it on the drive or the public road its well worth putting a cheap disposible plastic sheat under the hub as you would be suprised how much crappy oil comes out |||

It saves loads of time cleaning up afterwards.

Jules

Hi,

I've finally got round to changing my o/s c.v joint on my '96 300tdi disco, it arrived in the post this morning, but im not entirely sure what the job entails, so if anyone here has done it before and has got any tips or pointers it will be much appreciated!

Also will I need any special tools?

Cheers.

Tom.

If you are lucky, your new CV joint will be threaded down the centre on the output side. Find a bolt that fits the thread because as well as the other good advice posted it makes it easier to pull out far enough to get the circlips back on. You will probably find out what i mean when you are in the final stages of reassembly. Its not essential but it saves a lot of frustration, as often when the outer drive cap goes on it pushes the CV back into the hub...

Also make sure the splines on the main half shaft are clean before re-inserting into diff.

Final thing, i started using the grease rather than the EP90 for the swivel lubricant. Far less messy if you need to strip the swivel down again.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Andy