Electrical problem on a '93 Tdi 200

thebiglad

Hi all, got a bit of a problem with the wife's Tdi 200.

The ignition lock broke so I got a new one and temporarly plugged it in to test it.

I should explain that the car has an aftermarket immobiliser that we want to get rid of.

So after fitting the new lock she now turns over fine, without needing to touch the immo key, but she won't fire. I'm assuming that in the immo circuit (which is now on the floor in disgust!!) they included the fuel solenoid, so I'm working on the basis that the supply has been cut to it by removing the immo.

My plan is after lunch when it stops raining, to provide a second direct supply to the solenoid & she if she fires then as I can't think of anything else electrical that can be stopping her fire up ??

How do I get the car back to std so the the solenoid is fed in the normal way once more?

Any & all comments/advice welcomed. I'm not worried about security aspects of not having an immo, as we live in the back of beyond.

Cheers

Dave

On the 200tdi they were very basic, so it should just be the fuel cut off solenoid. Which you will be able to test by running your wire direct to it, or by removing it and taking out the spring/plunger (you will have to stall it to get it to cut out though)

You will just need to feed the solenoid from the ignition switch once you have proved that it is it.

On the 200tdi they were very basic, so it should just be the fuel cut off solenoid. Which you will be able to test by running your wire direct to it, or by removing it and taking out the spring/plunger (you will have to stall it to get it to cut out though)

You will just need to feed the solenoid from the ignition switch once you have proved that it is it.

Update on this mornings trials & tribulations.

I tried a direct wire between the solenoid and the battery and she fired up immediately.

So I made a new wire form the solenoid back into the car and picked up a switched + line from the back of the cigar lighter and now she fires up and stops on command.

There is still a slight eleccy problem remaining. I appear to have lost the permanent live which feeds the cigar lighter/radio/clock. There is juice getting through to the clock on a switched live, but no clock function.

Anyone got any thoughts on this??

In the process of the cowboys, sorry technicians, fitting an after-market immobiliser, they took out the fuse B1 and must have cobbled together something so that previously everything worked.

When I put the new lock & wiring in, the cobbled together element was no longer there, so it needed B1 - which it now has.

Joy is restored, thanks to all who contributed,

Cheers

Dave