Jump to content

Power Steering Pump


Zeph
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi,

After weeks of grazed knuckles I have managed to remove the p/s pulley bolts, but have noticed that the pulley doesn't seem

to move as freely as it did.

I used Irwin bolt removers as I had rounded the bolts, and as the removers are not a perfect fit

they had to be persuaded on with a hammer, is it possible that I have ruined the bearing in

the pump ?

It's taken me a few weeks due to lack of time due to the birth of a new baby plus lack of proper tools so I'm not 100%

sure whether it was like this when I started the job.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to put it all back together and then have to do it all again.

Thanks

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmmm, the Tdi p/s pump is notoriously fragile, I have seen ones where the shaft broke in half for no apparent reason. Why did you want to remove the pulley bolts? To do the P-gasket or what?

I would not trust the pump too much if you have whacked it a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yeah it was to do the P gasket, the bolts wouldn't move and started to round off so I bought some bolt removers and whacked them on with a lump hammer, also used a blow torch at one point.

The pulley still moves but only just by hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yeah it was to do the P gasket, the bolts wouldn't move and started to round off so I bought some bolt removers and whacked them on with a lump hammer, also used a blow torch at one point.

The pulley still moves but only just by hand.

If you need a replacement give me a PM.

Regards

Colin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

Sorry for the stupid question, but is there a method to attaching the high pressure power steering pipe to the pump, no matter what way I try I always end up with the pipe twisting whilst tightening.

The good news is that once this is done I'm back on the road !!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it's all done !

It seemed that the union was seized on the high pressure pipe to the power steering pump so I tightened it on to the pump before fitting to the engine and managed to bend the pipe so it would seat properly (I will be getting a new pipe fitted in the near future).

The only other problem I had was the Thermostat housing plug sheared, but I managed to remove the remnants and replace with a radiator blank/valve.

Thanks

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy