Discovery 1 - Rear seat belts

john01473

i am working on the rear floor - i tried to remove the seatbelts - in the end the heads sheared off the bolts - F!"£ it -

i looked underneath and saw a strange set of plates - as i cannot get the broken bolts out - do i replace this set of plates or drill out and retap.

if so what is the thread size and type?

I had to deal with these &&&&&&&& recently when I did a bootfloor.

There is a 'T'shaped bolt that goes from the underneath of the floor down to fix on a chassis fixing point. These are expensive and diffilcult to get hold of - if these are NOT the ones you've damaged, make sure you don't !!

The hex headed bolt that goes through the floor and supports the plate underneath the floor is disposable - so if that's the one you snapped? it's not a problem. You will need to remove the captive nut and i did that by cutting a slice through the middle of the nut and then chiselling it off.

Get hold of some good quality nuts and bolts, about 15mm from memory and fix the top and underneath plates with those - when you install them make sure you loctite them in and do them up good and tight.

Hope that helps

Dave

Edited by BogMonster
Removing bad language!!!

I had to deal with these &&&&&&&& recently when I did a bootfloor.

There is a 'T'shaped bolt that goes from the underneath of the floor down to fix on a chassis fixing point. These are expensive and diffilcult to get hold of - if these are NOT the ones you've damaged, make sure you don't !!

The hex headed bolt that goes through the floor and supports the plate underneath the floor is disposable - so if that's the one you snapped? it's not a problem. You will need to remove the captive nut and i did that by cutting a slice through the middle of the nut and then chiselling it off.

Get hold of some good quality nuts and bolts, about 15mm from memory and fix the top and underneath plates with those - when you install them make sure you loctite them in and do them up good and tight.

Hope that helps

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Read your post a couple of times and the penny has dropped (I think).

It is the hex head bolts that go through the floor that lost their heads. If I under stand what you are saying – remove old captive nut from underneath – leave the plate in place – use new nuts and bolts.

Many thanks

Big John