Straps or chains under propeller shafts for safety?

Mythbusters tried dropping a prop shaft onto the road at speed and proved that there is little if any danger.

I do a lot of commercial recovery at work. Went out to a double drive DAF 95 last week, prop had let go, loose end wedged into the chassis, tractor unit spun, jacknifed. Container on the trailer hit the cab hard enough to put a lovely straight crease right down it. Eighty grands worth of tractor unit written off, a twisted trailer and a scratched ISO container!

Some commercial vehicles fit a prop retainer made out of flat steel bar. The same shape as the picture of the strap, but with a cross brace above the prop, like an upside down "A". We've had an Izuzu in the workshops with a failed prop, driver was doing 56 on the motorway, and I've got to say that retainer did a pretty fine job of limiting damage. The retainer was bent well out of shape, but the prop never hit anything else. One new prop, one new retainer, job jobbed!

HI NEW TO THE FORUM SO HELLO TO EVERY ONE,

I BROUGHT A 300TDI DEFENDER OF EBAY BY THE TIME I HAD DRIVEN IT NEARLY HOME THE FRONT PROP DECIDED TO COME UNDONE, IT WAS A SCARY EXPERIENCE WITH THE PROP SMASHING AROUND AND MAKING THE THIN ALLIMINIUM FLOOR INTO A NEW SHAPE!!! BUT EVEN I WITH NEXT TO NO MECHANICAL EXPERIENCE COULD TELL THAT IT WAS ON ITS WAY OUT ON THE WAY HOME BY THE NOISE ON THE WAY HOME SO YOU DO GET A WARNING!

ANTONY

HI NEW TO THE FORUM SO HELLO TO EVERY ONE,

I BROUGHT A 300TDI DEFENDER OF EBAY BY THE TIME I HAD DRIVEN IT NEARLY HOME THE FRONT PROP DECIDED TO COME UNDONE, IT WAS A SCARY EXPERIENCE WITH THE PROP SMASHING AROUND AND MAKING THE THIN ALLIMINIUM FLOOR INTO A NEW SHAPE!!! BUT EVEN I WITH NEXT TO NO MECHANICAL EXPERIENCE COULD TELL THAT IT WAS ON ITS WAY OUT ON THE WAY HOME BY THE NOISE ON THE WAY HOME SO YOU DO GET A WARNING!

ANTONY

Welcome to the forum.

Please don't shout at us or you'll get a rude response, at this is your first post consider this the "gipsy's warning"

John