Range Rover L322 problems

Savannah

Lots of LM RR electrical faults are caused by water ingress,I have one in at the moment which had a small area of body sealant missed when it was built just below the windscreen - this has filled the looms with water in both sides of the car under the alloy step of both front doors.Try downloading the Rave manual for your car as it will help you to remove trim for checking without breaking it.It also contains wiring diagrams/loom layouts so you can work out which circuits are related.Being 05 I guess its just out of warranty,but it may be worth asking you dealer if there is any chance of a goodwill fix.

• 1 month later...

My problem is not identical i.e. no central locking problem, but the wiper issue could be linked?

I have a 2004/2005 Range Rover Vogue and my front wipers have failed in very heavy rain on the motorway four times over the last few months. Fotunately, on each occasion i have been able to make it to the hard shoulder safely.

Usually, turning the engine on and off a few times gets them working again, however, on the third failure it took twenty minutes.

The local dealership has replaced the wiper motor, relay, control unit and done a point to point wiring and resistance check.

After the last failure they kept the vehicle for a week but were unable to replicate the fault. I have written to Range Rover twice but they just say that this is not a known fault. However, a Belgian colleague of mine has the same problem on his Vogue and sue1smith1 also listed the identical fault on FixYa.com.

The fault is serious as it always happens in very heavy rain.

Range Rover in the last letter said that it was difficult for fault finding if I did not bring it in with the fault on, however, I have yet to reply to them, but actually I could not clear the fault on the third failure and delivered it to the dealership with the fault on and thats when they changed the relay.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced the same problem? <_<

• 1 year later...

My problem is not identical i.e. no central locking problem, but the wiper issue could be linked?

I have a 2004/2005 Range Rover Vogue and my front wipers have failed in very heavy rain on the motorway four times over the last few months. Fotunately, on each occasion i have been able to make it to the hard shoulder safely.

Usually, turning the engine on and off a few times gets them working again, however, on the third failure it took twenty minutes.

The local dealership has replaced the wiper motor, relay, control unit and done a point to point wiring and resistance check.

After the last failure they kept the vehicle for a week but were unable to replicate the fault. I have written to Range Rover twice but they just say that this is not a known fault. However, a Belgian colleague of mine has the same problem on his Vogue and sue1smith1 also listed the identical fault on FixYa.com.

The fault is serious as it always happens in very heavy rain.

Range Rover in the last letter said that it was difficult for fault finding if I did not bring it in with the fault on, however, I have yet to reply to them, but actually I could not clear the fault on the third failure and delivered it to the dealership with the fault on and thats when they changed the relay.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced the same problem? <_<

Apologies for the delay in providing and update on this problem:

In the time since the last post I have had two other electrical problems that together with the wipers had meant that the vehicle had been off the road and with the local dealership Hillendalen on various occasions for a total of almost seven weeks. I will post the two other problems seperately.

The wiper failure continued (infrequently) into July 2009, but it had become apparant that the failure was only ever in very, very heavy rain i.e the sort thats bouncing back up off the floor.

It's not that the failure was intermittent as LR would have me believe, but rather the fact that you not only needed torrential rain but also had to be driving in at the time!

By this time I had written eight letters and summaries to: (corresponding with Sue Beesley - Senior Customs Relations Executive)

Land Rover Customer Relationship Centre

Abbey Road

Whitley

Coventry

CV3 4LF

with copies to the local dealership Hillendale Land Rover, Lomeshaye Business Park, Nelson, Lancashire

However, the letters were getting me nowhere and the PR speak was wearing me down

Fortunately for me I was able to capture a failure on the 28th July 2009 on my phone video which I forwarded on CD to LR with a covering letter in which I asked for an escalation procedure and conformation that all my written feedback had been discussed internally with an appropriate technical team.

Finally, after eleven months, I got a common sense reply from LR which I attach. As you can read, for the first time LR asked some technical questions to aid them make a diagnosis. I was able to answer all questions fully and with 100% confidence has it was based on information I had been sending to them over the previous months.

I also attach there reply in which you can read that their conclusion (based on my answers to their questions)was that either the ECU (control relay) or associated wiring was faulty and that I should take it in to a dealership of my choice for investigation.

The reason that I could not take the vehicle in to the local dealership 'Hillendale' was the fact that the Aftersales Director Mr Ian Chadwick had declined to deal with me again. This came about as a result of a failure on Sunday 21st July 2009 which stayed on the vehicle until Monday morning 20th July. I set off the dealership with the fault still on, but as I was speaking to them the wipers suddenly began to work, so we agreed I would continue to run it until the fault came on again.

The next day we had a cloudburst and the fault came on. I had to pull over until the rain eased and I rang the dealership to inform them and they told me to bring it straight in. On arrival I left the engine running outside the service desk and checked in with Andy, who informed me that the technician Jed was out, but would get him to me on his return if I did not mind sitting in the vehicle with the engine running and fault on.

I sat for 10-15 minutes until Andy came out to see me stating that his boss would like a chat with me, I asked him if I should leave the vehicle running, but he said no, better to switch it off.

I was shown to Mr Ian Chadwick’s office (Aftersales Director), and was shocked when he opened with ‘I do not want to deal with you anymore as you do not like our service or our product’

For the record, I am actually a longstanding Series 1 club member, being the proud owner of a 1956 Series 1, fully restored by myself. I have previously owned two Series Landrovers, a Discovery and two Range Rovers, so in fact, I think it would be fair to say that I am a Solihull fan.

Further, regarding the level of service, I take the vehicle there for MOT, scheduled inspections/services and repairs; in fact the vehicle was in the dealership on Friday 17th July 2009 for two new steering joints. I have also bought extras from Hillendale such as boot liners and covers. So all in all I think that demonstrates that I do rate both their products and services.

I am convinced that Mr Chadwick had made his mind up prior to seeing me that he no longer wanted to deal with me because of the nature of this ongoing problem, however, I would point out that he had been happy to take my money on many occasions, but when the going got tough – he gave up. I asked him to put his point of view in writing and I waited until he had time to do that (he kept me waiting until the close of business), but I finally got it in writing and have attached it. In the letter he also states that 'we have not recently been able to experience the fault first hand' obviously ignoring the fact that I was sat outside with the fault on prior to our meeting. So the golden rule if you want Hillendale to do business with you is don't develop electrical faults on you RR Vogue, or if you do, don't complain about the fact they haven't been fixed for eleven months!

Back to the fault:

I opted to take my RR into Ribblesdale Land Rover at Settle, North Yorkshire a round trip of about 60 miles

I had previously sent the service manager Mr. Gordon Robinson all the past info on the fault and he took time to ring me on a couple of occasions to discuss and clarify things prior to taking the vehicle in.

On the day I was met by Mr Robinson (a working manager) and one of his technicians. We discussed things again and Mr Robinson said that if they could not find anything conclusive then they would fit a temporary override switch on the side of the dash that went direct to the wiper motor, so that if the fault was to reoccur we would be able to establish whether or not it was the Motor or controls that was at fault (additionally, if it was the controls that were at fault I would still be able to use my wipers - fantastic) That was a better idea than mine, months ago I had asked LR to fit temporary LED's on key points of the circuit that I could monitor when the failure occurred.

Late afternoon I went to collect the vehicle and Mr Robinson was happy he had found the fault to be the ECU

He had opened the relay and found the contacts to be pitted with clear signs of arcing

The relay, mounted behind the battery to the top nearside of the engine compartment has its earth point under the drivers seat and this was found to be a higher than normal resistance so they made a new earth for the relay next to the battery.

I now have some confidence that the fault is cured.

Mr Robinson took time to call me the other day after heavy rain to see all was OK

Ribblesdale have also offered to collect my vehicle and return it whenever I need any work doing, thus avoiding a day out

So if you want excellent and down to earth service (with the offer of practical solutions where necessary) then look no further than Ribblesdale Land Rover

PS

if you want to make a day out of your next service then take your vehicle into Ribblesdale and catch the scenic Settle to Carlisle railway

letter from RRover 30th Jul 20090001.pdf

post-12726-125855800736_thumb.jpg

Letter I. Chadwick Aftersales Director Hillendale Deale0001.pdf

Apologies for the delay in providing and update on this problem:

In the time since the last post I have had two other electrical problems that together with the wipers had meant that the vehicle had been off the road and with the local dealership Hillendalen on various occasions for a total of almost seven weeks. I will post the two other problems seperately.

The wiper failure continued (infrequently) into July 2009, but it had become apparant that the failure was only ever in very, very heavy rain i.e the sort thats bouncing back up off the floor.

It's not that the failure was intermittent as LR would have me believe, but rather the fact that you not only needed torrential rain but also had to be driving in at the time!

By this time I had written eight letters and summaries to: (corresponding with Sue Beesley - Senior Customs Relations Executive)

Land Rover Customer Relationship Centre

Abbey Road

Whitley

Coventry

CV3 4LF

with copies to the local dealership Hillendale Land Rover, Lomeshaye Business Park, Nelson, Lancashire

However, the letters were getting me nowhere and the PR speak was wearing me down

Fortunately for me I was able to capture a failure on the 28th July 2009 on my phone video which I forwarded on CD to LR with a covering letter in which I asked for an escalation procedure and conformation that all my written feedback had been discussed internally with an appropriate technical team.

Finally, after eleven months, I got a common sense reply from LR which I attach. As you can read, for the first time LR asked some technical questions to aid them make a diagnosis. I was able to answer all questions fully and with 100% confidence has it was based on information I had been sending to them over the previous months.

I also attach there reply in which you can read that their conclusion (based on my answers to their questions)was that either the ECU (control relay) or associated wiring was faulty and that I should take it in to a dealership of my choice for investigation.

The reason that I could not take the vehicle in to the local dealership 'Hillendale' was the fact that the Aftersales Director Mr Ian Chadwick had declined to deal with me again. This came about as a result of a failure on Sunday 21st July 2009 which stayed on the vehicle until Monday morning 20th July. I set off the dealership with the fault still on, but as I was speaking to them the wipers suddenly began to work, so we agreed I would continue to run it until the fault came on again.

The next day we had a cloudburst and the fault came on. I had to pull over until the rain eased and I rang the dealership to inform them and they told me to bring it straight in. On arrival I left the engine running outside the service desk and checked in with Andy, who informed me that the technician Jed was out, but would get him to me on his return if I did not mind sitting in the vehicle with the engine running and fault on.

I sat for 10-15 minutes until Andy came out to see me stating that his boss would like a chat with me, I asked him if I should leave the vehicle running, but he said no, better to switch it off.

I was shown to Mr Ian Chadwick’s office (Aftersales Director), and was shocked when he opened with ‘I do not want to deal with you anymore as you do not like our service or our product’

For the record, I am actually a longstanding Series 1 club member, being the proud owner of a 1956 Series 1, fully restored by myself. I have previously owned two Series Landrovers, a Discovery and two Range Rovers, so in fact, I think it would be fair to say that I am a Solihull fan.

Further, regarding the level of service, I take the vehicle there for MOT, scheduled inspections/services and repairs; in fact the vehicle was in the dealership on Friday 17th July 2009 for two new steering joints. I have also bought extras from Hillendale such as boot liners and covers. So all in all I think that demonstrates that I do rate both their products and services.

I am convinced that Mr Chadwick had made his mind up prior to seeing me that he no longer wanted to deal with me because of the nature of this ongoing problem, however, I would point out that he had been happy to take my money on many occasions, but when the going got tough – he gave up. I asked him to put his point of view in writing and I waited until he had time to do that (he kept me waiting until the close of business), but I finally got it in writing and have attached it. In the letter he also states that 'we have not recently been able to experience the fault first hand' obviously ignoring the fact that I was sat outside with the fault on prior to our meeting. So the golden rule if you want Hillendale to do business with you is don't develop electrical faults on you RR Vogue, or if you do, don't complain about the fact they haven't been fixed for eleven months!

Back to the fault:

I opted to take my RR into Ribblesdale Land Rover at Settle, North Yorkshire a round trip of about 60 miles

I had previously sent the service manager Mr. Gordon Robinson all the past info on the fault and he took time to ring me on a couple of occasions to discuss and clarify things prior to taking the vehicle in.

On the day I was met by Mr Robinson (a working manager) and one of his technicians. We discussed things again and Mr Robinson said that if they could not find anything conclusive then they would fit a temporary override switch on the side of the dash that went direct to the wiper motor, so that if the fault was to reoccur we would be able to establish whether or not it was the Motor or controls that was at fault (additionally, if it was the controls that were at fault I would still be able to use my wipers - fantastic) That was a better idea than mine, months ago I had asked LR to fit temporary LED's on key points of the circuit that I could monitor when the failure occurred.

Late afternoon I went to collect the vehicle and Mr Robinson was happy he had found the fault to be the ECU

He had opened the relay and found the contacts to be pitted with clear signs of arcing

The relay, mounted behind the battery to the top nearside of the engine compartment has its earth point under the drivers seat and this was found to be a higher than normal resistance so they made a new earth for the relay next to the battery.

I now have some confidence that the fault is cured.

Mr Robinson took time to call me the other day after heavy rain to see all was OK

Ribblesdale have also offered to collect my vehicle and return it whenever I need any work doing, thus avoiding a day out

So if you want excellent and down to earth service (with the offer of practical solutions where necessary) then look no further than Ribblesdale Land Rover

PS

if you want to make a day out of your next service then take your vehicle into Ribblesdale and catch the scenic Settle to Carlisle railway

PS

I forgot to mention the cost of the above work (excluding the wiper motor and BeCM module)

ECU £4.90

Labour - 2 techs full day £261.25

VAT £39.92

Tot £306.07

• 1 month later...

PS

I forgot to mention the cost of the above work (excluding the wiper motor and BeCM module)

ECU £4.90

Labour - 2 techs full day £261.25

VAT £39.92

Tot £306.07

I came across this post looking for an explanation for my indicators suddenly not working for a few minutes on my 2004/54 RR (hasn't recurred since).

I must say that both my RR and 110 have been serviced and repaired at Hillendale for a good number of years and have always found the service to be excellent. They also collect and return my car each time.

The few unusual, niggly faults I've had on my RR have always been sorted with no problems at all.