Seat Belt adjustment.

First_Fleet

Is there a method to increase the self-tensioning when not being worn, of '95 Discovery seat belts?

It's a bit of a bummer when they don't retract enough, so that they lay between the seat & the door opening trim piece, so I would like to nip the tension up a tad so they do.

The metal docking tongue piece also has buggered up the door seal as it is not pulled back inside the vehicle. :angry:

After 13 years they do seem a bit on the sloppy side, although are fine when worn.

Thanks in anticipation.

There's an internal spring that weakens with age. You would have to dismantle the mechanism to get at it and it's very fiddly/difficult. I don't think there's any way of restoring tension in the spring and there's a possibility that the locking mechanism may get damaged when you take it apart - making the seatbelt no longer work. You could take the plastic case off and lubricate the mechanism - in case that is the problem, but generally these things can't be fixed. It would be better and probably safer to replace the seatbelt. Bearmach, Paddocks, etc sell after-market items for about £30.

Les.

Thanks Les. I will get the plastics off & have a look. I also wondered with the retractor being at floor level whether it gets bound up with dust + whatever lubricant was originally used.

Cleaning, a shot of lubrication may just make that little difference. :rolleyes: