LT230 Centre Diff

MJIbex

Anyone had any experiences of the centre diff breaking up? What do they sound like on the way out?

With the Centre diff unlocked there is a noise from the transfer box sounding like a stone in a washing machine above 20 MPH and a nasty vibration through the transfer lever! With it locked the noise and vibration disappears.

I have a feeling it may have been driven for 20 miles or so on the road with the diff locked! I'm suprised that this may have killed it quite so quickly.

Anyone had a centre diff issue before?

Cheers

Mark.

One of the cross shafts may have snapped and is jamming it.

From what i understand, lots of wheel spinning with the centre diff unlocked causes failure or poorly shimmed / worn centre diff

Ashcrofts do a one-piece cross-shaft which is stronger than standard.

Anyone had any experiences of the centre diff breaking up? What do they sound like on the way out?

With the Centre diff unlocked there is a noise from the transfer box sounding like a stone in a washing machine above 20 MPH and a nasty vibration through the transfer lever! With it locked the noise and vibration disappears.

I have a feeling it may have been driven for 20 miles or so on the road with the diff locked! I'm suprised that this may have killed it quite so quickly.

Anyone had a centre diff issue before?

Cheers

Mark.

When I blew up mine (gears broke) it drove fine but would occasionally make a bang. No vibrations, no obvious tyre scrubbing. I spent a while looking for the source of the problem but when I pulled the centre diff apart it was clear what the problem was - only one spider gear had all it's teeth left (and had welded itself to the cross shaft), a second was missing a tooth, a third was in three pieces and the 4th was totally shattered.

FYI I think mine let go jumping out of diff lock on a failed hill climb before I had several more 'spirited' attempts.

Edited to add - the diff had an Ashcroft solid cross shaft which does make them stronger albeit not indestructible