Any Body done a 1" Body lift

Will C

I'm working on me new beastie- Pics soon I promise! but I've just been gripped by the notion to lift it 1" in the body as well as about 1.5" in the springs. Has any body done it? What else is involved besides spacers for the mounting points ( I was going to get some Nylonblok ones machined locally) and the Rad Mountings?

Is it worth doing? I Don't want to go 2" because the thing has to be a daily driver an will be running on 245/75 BFG on weekdays.... when playing and I stick on the Greenway MT's.

I don't want to chop the arches as they might look silly with smaller tyres so I figured lifting 1" would help articulation/rubbing MT's without major chopping.

All thoughts gratefully received. :rolleyes:

I'm working on me new beastie- Pics soon I promise! but I've just been gripped by the notion to lift it 1" in the body as well as about 1.5" in the springs. Has any body done it? What else is involved besides spacers for the mounting points ( I was going to get some Nylonblok ones machined locally) and the Rad Mountings?

Is it worth doing? I Don't want to go 2" because the thing has to be a daily driver an will be running on 245/75 BFG on weekdays.... when playing and I stick on the Greenway MT's.

I don't want to chop the arches as they might look silly with smaller tyres so I figured lifting 1" would help articulation/rubbing MT's without major chopping.

hi i have put a 1.5" body lift on my range rover, not to bad to do but i expect you will need new mounting bolts for the extra length. i found it best to leave the rear mounts on jack up yhe front and put the spacers in then do the rear and put the others in after. i also loosened of the steering shaft just incase and there are 2 more mounts not to forget positioned ruffly under the rear seats. suspension wise a bit more envolved but not bad either

good luck

Has any body done it? What else is involved besides spacers for the mounting points

Ive lifted my body by 1inch.

Its not that bad of a job to do. I think the worse part is undoing the old bolts.

There are 10 body mounts in total which I have used inch and a quater diameter nylon bar.

Also there are 4 rear floor supports that will need extending together with 2 floor supports under the front seats.

Dont forget to loosen the steering shaft, move radiator, check fuel filler hose and length of brake hoses. Auto stick and diff lock lever should be ok at only 1inch lift.

Also advise spraying old body mount bolts in WD40 for a week before starting job, and invest in new bolts and nyloc nuts.

Bulkhead mounting with nylon spacer

100_0626.jpg

Extended rear floor support

100_0814.jpg

Extended front floor support

100_0843.jpg

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I just did a 3cm = 1.2inch body lift. But 1" is a very reasonable amount and will be kind of plug´n´play compared to anything about 1.2"

pictures can be seen here http://www.viermalvier.de/ubb_portal/ubbth...sic_#Post295274 - i have posted a pretty detailed summary of what I had to do there but I fear it´s in the wrong language for you (pride about my improved welding skills led me to share these pics with any forum I can think of .. :D ).

the original bolts are 8cm long. Therefore you´d want new bolts 8cm + lift-height + 1cm

I would make the distance blocks in 7cm diameter as that´s what the original big washers are about. I think it looks somewhat unobstrusively that way. And I hope it´s stronger too. If you want to get around any naysay you could use steel.

I took http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyoxymethylene

The chosen lift height made it possible to easily raise the mounting points of both bumpers so that the look stays "right". Anything more would have asked for a more envolved solution for the rear bumper than just welding a 10mm thick flat steel against it.

Check that the brake lines do not get stretched on full articulation.

1414619.jpg

Thanks landybehr - I've decided to do the wheel arches first and if needed then add the bodylift. I was going to use nylon the same Diamater as the washers too so the pictures help. The picture of how you lifted the body off has also given me a great idea for my own workshop!