300 TDI - belt tensioner., Replacing the bearing

john01473

I would like to thank Les for posting this item and form its inclusion in the Tech Archive.

The squealing coming from unit could no longer be drowned out by the loudness of the radio - tried to buy bits from local stockist - no joy there.

They wanted to sell the off the shelf unit £60ish.

Read Les's article and sourced the bearing from the web - came next day - Simply Bearings Ltd charged me £6 incl p+p - top bunch.

Followed the article and even the grinding out to remove clip proved spot on.

Such a good article - saved me £50 ish.

Thanks to Les and Simply Bearings Ltd - silence has been restored.

:rolleyes::P:lol:

If you have aircon you will have three bearings which are changed in the same manner, one for the serp fan belt tensioner, one for the aircon tensioner and one for the aircon idler at the bottom. The fan belt tensioner and the aircon idlers are always 6203 bearings, the aircon tensioner is sometimes a 6203 and sometimes a 6301. We often change all three at once just to be on the safe side. We pay about £1.50 for the bearings from our local (not LR) parts place. When I go into the bush I always carry a couple of bearings with me (along with other stuff, of course).