Extended Bump-Stops

Disco_Dunk

Can anyone recommend a supplier for extended bump-stops for a 300tdi Disco?....... I've had a look at Paddocks, but they state that theirs are only suitable for pre-300tdi's - any ideas why?

You could space out the existing ones and use loger bolts, a nice bit of english oak should do it, planed and sanded with 4 coats of varnish.

Geoff

Can anyone recommend a supplier for extended bump-stops for a 300tdi Disco?

Mine came from M&M4x4 at Martin Hussingtree.

They were free when i bought a bearmach spring package, so i'm afraid i can't tell you how much they were!

The chaps (and lady who runs Despatch) are very helpful there and along with Paddocks are my favourite suppliers.

Hope that helps.

Dunc

Mine came from M&M4x4 at Martin Hussingtree.

They were free when i bought a bearmach spring package, so i'm afraid i can't tell you how much they were!

The chaps (and lady who runs Despatch) are very helpful there and along with Paddocks are my favourite suppliers.

Hope that helps.

Dunc

Cheers Dunc - I've seen the MM4x4 ones too, but wasn't sure if they'd fit..... sounds like I'll be sending them some beer tokens.

How've you found the springs (was it a lift kit?) - my long-term plan is to go for a 2" lift, but it gets expensive with castor-correction-this, extended-braided-that, etc, etc :o

Ta

Dunk

How've you found the springs (was it a lift kit?) - my long-term plan is to go for a 2" lift, but it gets expensive with castor-correction-this, extended-braided-that, etc, etc :o

That was a concern of mine too.

I don't know about long term effects as i only got the tack at Chrimbo, but i haven't got the clever radius arms or wide angle (open yoke) props.

I've got +2" springs with DeCarbon shocks and heavy duty spring retainers. When i bought the kit i got free re-location cones too, but i haven't fitted them, my use of the vehicle needed clearance more than axle articulation.

I've got extended brakelines, they came from Paddock's shop and were thirty-odd quid. I got the +4" versions as i thought that way i'd cover every eventuality!

For much more info on the really serious suspension, you need to talk to the more 'hardcore' Disco users. There are a few that come on here, Kev Baldwin for one. They're the people i asked before i modified mine. All i did was listen to the advice they gave and based my decisions on their experience.

If you search the archives on the old LRE forum (now the LandRover Addict forum) you might be able to find the thread where we discussed articulation and all off the clever bits you can bolt on. Some belting pictures of trucks on there, if it's still around!

Hope that helps.

Dunc

Dunc..... thanks for the link. I've been through that same thread before, and ended up more confused than ever :D

Having re-read it, though, there's a couple of questions that have been cleared up: namely the non-essential dislocation cones (I'm not planning to do insane challenge stuff, either), and the idea of the castor-correction bushes, rather than arms sounds interesting - gonna have to do some costings {opens another browser window}.

I've already fitted 235/85 tyres, and done the essential wheel-arch trimming, so a lift is the next natural evolution (that, and a Defender transfer box to make up for the lost performance).

This isn't my daily driver motor (good job really as I've just broken the rocker shaft on it!), so I don't do a lot of miles in it - how do you find the ride without castor correction? is the lack of self-centreing steering a problem? I'm thinking about spreading the cost by doing the same sort of thing as you: basic lift (springs & shocks) - live with the side effects for a while (until the wife's memory fades), then 'complete' the lift with the additional bits & pieces.

Think I'll be picking your brains some more in the not-too-distant future - don't go away!! :unsure:

Dunk

The paddocks extrended bumpstops will fit a 300 TDi Disco, well they fit on mine!! :D

1985-1126394387.jpg

You've got the right approach with trying the +2" lift before looking at the caster correction radius arms, the "tramlining" may not be that bad.

A little word of warning: If you go for the caster correction radius arms then you will find that the change in the angle of the front diff will straighten the diff end U/J on the propshaft and tighten the transfer box end U/J. This will cause a heavy vibration in the propshaft and could lead to a wrecked transfer box output bearing or snapped U/J.

The normal way round this is to fit a TD5 front propshaft known as a "Double Cardan" propshaft. This has a double U/J at the transfer box end and stops the viration. They are not cheap but available from Devon 4x4 & Scorpion do their own.

This is my double cardan front prop, note the angle of the U/J at the diff end.

propshaft01_141.jpg

The longer break lines is a must with +2" lift, even if you don't intend going to extreams, it's better to be safe than rip out a break line when you need it most! ;)

Budgie..... thanks for the advice - I'm seriously lovin' the pics of your Disco on the thread that Dunc linked to!!

Good point about the prop-shafts....... I'd already heard about swapping the rear one to do away with the do-nut, but didn't realise the front one would need looking at as well (but that's only with the castor-corrected arms, right?) - why is nothing ever simple? seems like you buy 1 thing and then need another 3 to fix the problems it causes!!!........ still it's better than letting the wife get her hands on any of my spare cash :P

Dunk

(but that's only with the castor-corrected arms, right?)

Yep, you shouldn't get any vibration with the standard radius arms, unless you go for the bushes. ;) Although, I've heard the bushes don't last that long because of the stresses on them. But had no personal experience of them.

The other option, if you can get hold of them, is caster correction swivel housings. Tomcat used to produce them but I'm not sure if they still do. They alter the caster angle without changing the angle of the axle so you don't get any propshaft problems.

There's good threads on here and the Mud Club forum about lifting Discos.

Here's a few on Mud Club to get you going but have a search through and see what you can find. ;)

Front Propshafts

1.4 Transfer box details

+2" Lifts

Budgie..... thanks for the links - as soon as my account on the mud forums is activated, I'll take a look.

Cheers!!

Yep, you shouldn't get any vibration with the standard radius arms, unless you go for the bushes. ;) Although, I've heard the bushes don't last that long because of the stresses on them. But had no personal experience of them.

The other option, if you can get hold of them, is caster correction swivel housings. Tomcat used to produce them but I'm not sure if they still do. They alter the caster angle without changing the angle of the axle so you don't get any propshaft problems.

There's good threads on here and the Mud Club forum about lifting Discos.

Here's a few on Mud Club to get you going but have a search through and see what you can find. ;)

Front Propshafts

1.4 Transfer box details

+2" Lifts

Yes, i'm in serious lust with his truck too, that's why it forms part of my montage of coolness on my screensaver...

:D:D:D

Flattery will get you everywhere Dunc. :D

Just for you then, Belgium National 2005 trying to squeeze the roofrack under a tree trunk that was over hanging the track. ;)

Bel01.jpg

Oh, and what can happen to those arches when you get a log jammed in the wheelarch. :o

All better now though, nothing a little fibreglass & paint won't sort out!! :D

Bel04.jpg

We'll see you on the Mud Club as well then Dunk. :D