4.0l V8 auto noises

discodave

Hello everyone. I've been away working all summer again and having got used to my 300tdi i've sold it and bought a late 94 V8i auto es model with a gas convertion and 122000 miles on it. it seems to run nice and smooth on petrol and gas, the only worrying things are the whine (rear diff?)when decelerating/riding the throttle at medium speed and the big clunk when shifting into reverse. not having had a v8 or indeed an auto box before i'm kind of in the dark again :blink: any thoughts greatly appreciated. dd

Hello everyone. I've been away working all summer again and having got used to my 300tdi i've sold it and bought a late 94 V8i auto es model with a gas convertion and 122000 miles on it. it seems to run nice and smooth on petrol and gas, the only worrying things are the whine (rear diff?)when decelerating/riding the throttle at medium speed and the big clunk when shifting into reverse. not having had a v8 or indeed an auto box before i'm kind of in the dark again :blink: any thoughts greatly appreciated. dd

All D1 and 3.5 RRC autos clunk when going into reverse the noise comes from the transfer box, selecting reverse a bit slower may make it a bit quieter. I don't worry any more as I have had 21 years of the clunk.

Some say filling the diff with a synthetic oil will make the diff quieter, may be wothe a try.

All D1 and 3.5 RRC autos clunk when going into reverse the noise comes from the transfer box, selecting reverse a bit slower may make it a bit quieter. I don't worry any more as I have had 21 years of the clunk.

Some say filling the diff with a synthetic oil will make the diff quieter, may be wothe a try.

Hi Teabag, thanks for the reasuring news. The lads at Famous Four stuck it up on the ramps for me and they reckon the whine is a transfer box bearing which is possibly making the clunk worse, I've just done 350 miles to Scotland in it and the whine seems to be getting worse so I'll have to take care of that soon. Fuel consumption is next on the list also. I've got two gas tanks under the truck but only get 35 litres in at a time and that gives me around 80 - 100 miles depending on speed, just enough to make it to the next lpg outlet if I go fast enough. :( I must say though the V8 is a loverly smooth rumbly drive after the tractor like qualities of the 300tdi ;)

Hi discodave, Famous 4 have been around some time so should be able to put a finger on the problem. Not always possible I know but a second opinion would be nice.

What made u think it was the rear diff ?. Changing the oil can do no harm only a 10 mins job, and if theirs no change in the whine then Famous 4 may be right

The clunk is loud anyway but you should not feel any vibration associated with the clunk so if u can feel that, then there's something worn such as a bearing.

Did Famous 4 quote you a Price?

Regards

Hi discodave, Famous 4 have been around some time so should be able to put a finger on the problem. Not always possible I know but a second opinion would be nice.

What made u think it was the rear diff ?. Changing the oil can do no harm only a 10 mins job, and if theirs no change in the whine then Famous 4 may be right

The clunk is loud anyway but you should not feel any vibration associated with the clunk so if u can feel that, then there's something worn such as a bearing.

Did Famous 4 quote you a Price?

Regards

Mornring Teabag, FF did a lot of work on my 300 for me, so I'm fairly confident that they'll be right. Whine just seemed to be coming from the rear but hard to pinpoint so I just thought it may have been the rear diff. The FF lads changed the diff oils for me but the whine is most definately becoming louder and more noticable from 60mph downwards. I have a friend up here who was a LR mechanic so if he has the time and inclination I'll see if he can take a look. Got a 6 month warranty with the truck which says that T box and diffs are covered so will be interested to see if it's worth the paper it's printed on. Not got a price yet, I'll have to call the warranty people first.

Hello again. We'll, I'm expecting Cilla Black to turn up any time now and say 'Surprise, surprise' :lol: . The warranty people want to strip the t'box to find the offending bearing and determine that it is down to normal wear and tear, at which point I'd have to foot the bill for the inspection. More or less what I'd expected. I wouldnt mind betting that any failure on a 120000 mile car would be down to normal wear and tear. Giving a worthless six month warranty is a shullbit way of making you feel better about the money pit you've just bought. Hey ho. Next stop was dealer. It seems they may be prepared to fit a second hand box for me but I'll have to wait to speak to the boss before getting exited. I've been reading the posts about fitting output shaft bearings but the FF boys seem to think it's an internal jobby. :( Off to the pub later to apply a temporary fix to my broken sense of humour and hopefully see my mate who may be able to help. ;) Always look on the bright side of life, doo doo, doo doo, doo doo, doo doo B) DD