Gearbox Removal Advice?

Debs.

I agree with les, have done these myself once with scafold tube and with lift by far easyer, if you dicide scafold tube must do bit by bit and lift up to clear chassie put good plank across, under, lower onto and twist and slide to the door, then it is heavy to lower to the floor. is a pain to split transfer and box but as les said its worth it and at least can do it inside the landy for cover. all the best with it but take extra care.

Majorpw.

• 1 month later...

Just to update the topic:

With the kind help of my three burly nephews we managed to manually-remove the broken gearbox (w/transfer-case attached).....but sadly the replacement box I bought 'off-forum' turned out to be not as described; with a 6 cyl. bellhousing (something not immediately evident with my untrained eye).....later, when trying to swap the bellhousings, I also discovered stray 'teeth' loose in the bottom of that s/h gearbox, so have determined to rebuild the old (reverse-gear broken) gearbox and reinstall.

It`s taking a while, but I am learning a lot along the way; so all to the good. ^_^

Hopefully the rebuilt gearbox will be ready for service and putting back into "Lazarus" (my Series III) before too long.

• 2 weeks later...

:) It`s done!.......`We thoroughly cleaned, stripped and rebuilt the old gearbox (reverse idler teeth missing & idler shaft badly-worn).

My nephews and I installed the (now) sparklingly-clean gearbox and T/C unit yesterday: that job went well (despite the poor weather) and the only problem was the discovery of two missing bolts for the prop-shaft to rear-diff flange; `goodness knows how they got lost, as I ziploc-bagged everything during the tear-down?

Lazarus Landy`s gears are now sweet-shifting and significantly quieter....and, (most importantly) I can go backwards again......Yay! :P

DSCF5804.jpg