Reversing lights on a Disco Tdi 200 1993

thebiglad

Hi all, after ongoing trouble with the reversing lights (RL) on my wife's Tdi I've decided to sort them out, once & for all.

The story so far:

The lights stopped worked and I found that the RL switch was finished, so I ordered and installed a new switch. All was well for a while then they ceased to function - adjusted the switch and all was good - for a while. Now they are no longer working and I've had enough of this silly little but irritating fault.

So my plan is to replace the LR switch with a manual illuminated one and install it on the elec windows control panel. Anyone got any ideas where I might get such a thing? Ideally something of a rocker switch style.

Once the existing LR gearbox switch has been replaced with the above, I then plan to modify the RL's at the back, a little. I reckon that if I take out one of the RL bulbs and use it's elec feed I can then run a rear gutter-mounted worklight to improve rearward vision.

Any comments on this??

Cheers in advance

Dave

Hi There,

The reversing lights on my 300tdi are just as useless. The new switch cured them for a couple of days only. I am also thinking of fitting a manual switch, and your idea of where to put it is good.

My local supplier "Maplin Electronics " should be able to provide the switch.

If the switch is like a mains illuminated type, they supply a LED with internal resistor to work off 12 volts, so a small engineering job may be required. I know they also have small 12 volt lamps that will swap with the neon quite well.

This is a task for tomorrow, if the weather is ok.