Air susp disable when parked

elwell

As we all know the 38a suspension continues to self level when parked which can cause problems on uneven ground and gives the pump a lot of extra work on start up. Can this feature be disableed, I am thinking of putting a relay in the valve block earth wire closing only when the ignition is on. Any better ideas gratefully recieved.

As we all know the 38a suspension continues to self level when parked which can cause problems on uneven ground and gives the pump a lot of extra work on start up. Can this feature be disableed, I am thinking of putting a relay in the valve block earth wire closing only when the ignition is on. Any better ideas gratefully recieved.

always thought if you pressed the override switch on the dash then turned the engine off it sustained the level...

if it's giving your pump a lot of extra work then you have a problem..

When I picked my RR up on Wednesday, the dealer suggested leaving it in access mode when parked for any length of time. (meaning a few days or more)

Apparently leaving the air suspension in the lowered mode cancels out the self leveling, otherwise it will be trying to self level all the time if on uneven ground.

This relates to a 55 plate, but the system may work the same as on a P38. :unsure:

"Any better ideas gratefully recieved."

If the vehicle continues to self level it's because there is an air leak, probably very very small, more like an air 'weep', but that is why, every time the ECU checks, the combined sensor analysis shows 'tilt'. If it hasn't recently been done, renew the air bags, it's no different (in principle) to replacing soft leaf or coil springs. If they have recently been changed, check for leaks (which can be frustrating).

BTW, if you buy 'springs with pistons', also buy new hairpins and new C clips, they don't (didn't) come with the spring assemblies.

If the pump is not able to lift the vehicle rapidly when you start the engine it's because the pump is more than halfway to being totally cream crackered. This is partly because of fair wear and tear, and partly because of the excess workload trying to overcome the effects of the air leak, even while the car is being driven. Buy and apply a pump overhaul kit.

Rover Renovations is the supplier you want, although by all means check eBay etc, especially if all you are after is the springs rather than the spring / piston assembly.

Doing this work now means you get to enjoy the benefits while you drive the vehicle. Leave it until you sell (if the pump lasts that long) and the selling price has to be drastically reduced, or you have to do the work anyway, but never get to enjoy the benefits.

Cheers

Thanks David a good reply. I have replaced the air pump seal ring (from Rover renovations) quite easy once you read the web instructions. I probably have got a small air leak but it only leaks sometimes which does suggest an air bag, I am hoping that by disabling the system when parked I will be able to find out which one as I would rather not take on the cost of all four.

My driveway slope means that I alwasy park with the car a bit "cross axled" so again this may be part of my problem.

I have disabled the system as follows if anyone is interested:-

In the engine bay fuse box I have removed fuse 29 and put a relay and an inline fuse across its contacts. The relay coil is fed from fuse 24 and then to earth. Quite a neat installation as there is just room in the fuse box.

The system works quite normally when driving with no fault messages so it seems to be OK.