Suspect electrics

I had a couple of scary moments whilst driving down to Southampton this evening. Whilst doing about 55mph the engine would just cut out, leaving me coasting to the side of the road - not fun on a fairly busy M27 :( Each time, the engine just restarted after a minute or so with little difficulty - so why did it cut out? It happened to my dad the other day as well, but that time really struggle to re-start itself. He changed the battery and things seemed to go ok for a couple of weeks untill today.

The only thing that I can think of is that on each ocasion the heater (or wheezer) was 'running.' When coming back from southampton, I kept the heater off and there was no problem with the engine. Could an earthing fault, or something equally electrical cause a mechanical engine like a Tdi to cut out? The reason I'm thinking that the electrical gremlins have struck is that also on the way back I lost the use of dipped beam headlights - thankfully the mainbeams stayed active untill the next lay-by.

Any thoughts would be very helpful before I start chasing a problem that may not be there! Thanks

As it is rather dangerous to suddenly lose power on a main road, I would suggest you 'hot wire' the injector solenoid direct to the battery to stop this happening. Put a switch in the circuit or the solenoid will be permanently powered and you will have to stall the engine to stop it.

Then you can try to find the fault that is cutting the power to the solenoid occasionally. Sounds like a loose connection or earth connection.