67 IIa I'm a new owner, some simple questions.

Speeedy6

I recieved great help on my last post ,thank you. Here's another. On my 67 Series IIa diesel, are the fasteners metric or that British standard I've only heard about? If BS, can I use Metric or fractional wrenches anyway?Is a conversion chart available or, is there so little difference I don't need one. And, is my diesel engine a Land Rover brand or built by another?

Thanks for your help, Mark

The vast majority of my 68 IIA was put together with UNF fasteners which use imperial fractional sized spanners. There are some BSF, BSW, BA and UNC, but very few, so mostly imperial fractional spanners should be required. There shouldn't be any metric on the vehicle, unless added by a previous owner.

In my opinion, you should always use the right size spanner for the job. Badly fitting spanners will either damage the bolt/nut or your hand when they slip off. most often both....

hth

Mark

I have found that although put together with Imperial, the previous owner ( a farmer ) has used a what ever is knocking about at the time system, when replacing nuts and bolts.

I would recomend that you invest in both sets of spanners sockets etc, even though some sizes are replicated.

Show us a pic of the engine and we'll be able to tell. Also, if you can, get an engine number off the block. That helps in identification.

As for the bolts, they are mostly imperial, but with added rust metric might fit as well. Seeing as you are in the States, you'll probably be best off getting an imperial set. You'll get pretty far with it.

Oh, and get some band-aids for your knuckles as well...