Wheel Offset

DiscoStu

Hi all.

I'm in the market for a new set of wheels and mud tyres and rather than jump on the first set of ebay specials I can get hold of (As is my usual MO), I thought I'd try the considered approach.

I have a Discovery 300Tdi with a 2" lift. Aside from daily road use I use it for RTV's, Greenlaning and playsites. It currently runs 245/70 BFG AT's and 30mm spacers.

I would like my next wheel and tyre combo to give me at least the same track width as the current set up, preferably another 20mm or so.

The wheels I've seen, black modulars (Devon 4x4 etc), are described as having a +8 offset. How is this measured? Is there a standard offset for modulars? What is considered to be "Best"?

I had planned to fit 265/75/16's but I'm now having second thoughts. One supplier I've spoken with advised using a 15" rim rather than 16" and said that tyre choice was greater and price less for imperial sized tyres such as 31x10.50 over metric.

One last thought, Wolf rims - suitable for a disco, Longer studs needed, worth their weight etc?

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Stu.

Hi, if it helps, I've a 300 V8 with a 2" lift, I run 255x85x16 BFG muddies, no spacers, on steel disco rims that I reversed. Full lock no problems the only thing is that your wheel arches will need a bit of modifying, I used defender spats that fitted a treat with a bit of sculpturing.

If you do a search there should be plenty about reversing wheel rims, patience is the watchword.

Ran it down through Europe to Morocco and the Sahara last year, not a single puncture in five thousand miles and some of the rock fields were quite evil.

Don't think you'll beat BFG's for what you appear to use them for.

Thats my two pennies worth cheers Bill

Thanks lads but you're loosing me a bit. I'm not sure about the backspace bit.

Could you explain this a bit more please Tony? : "3 1/2" backspace with give the same track as modualrs with spacers"

I assume the 3 1/2 etc is measured in inches, does that come out from the hub? If the modulars provided a 3.5" wider track I wouldn't need to use spacers.

Rhys, you run modulars and spacers? You must need a lot of room to fit those 35's in :)