300TDi auto 1996 Thermostat replacement

asdj45

Hi

For the sake of £4 i decided to change the thermostat on my Landy Discovery as the cooler days are approaching fast. I checked out the technical archive http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=10681

and all went well except the technical archive shows two wires at the base of the thermostat housing. Mine did not have these! Are they fitted on different models and what are they for?

Please advise - thanks

Andy :rolleyes:

The thermostat elbow on your engine is 'blank' because you don't have A/C fitted. You can see some other 'extras' in the pics as well: A/C compressor, belt, ...

The wires on A/C models lead to two temp switches:

- a normal closed one - it opens and disables A/C when the engine overheats

- a normal open one - it closes and engages the electric fans in front of the radiator to assist cooling when the temp. goes over 100C

The thermostat elbow on your engine is 'blank' because you don't have A/C fitted. You can see some other 'extras' in the pics as well: A/C compressor, belt, ...

The wires on A/C models lead to two temp switches:

- a normal closed one - it opens and disables A/C when the engine overheats

- a normal open one - it closes and engages the electric fans in front of the radiator to assist cooling when the temp. goes over 100C

Thanks- spot on - that explains it - thanks

Andy