cold heater

joe sharpe

hi do these discoverys actually put heat out of there heaters ?i have replaced thermostat refilled with correct amount of antifreeze etc and still no noticeable heat .

i drive to work (20 miles) each day and still dont get warm ??the needle only touches the first white line on the gauge ,i have earthed wire out from sender unit and it puts needle up to the top .

do i just have to wear an extra coat or is there something i can try ?? :(:( any help welcome .

cheers joe.

They sure do when working properly.

Do you have a 4 way heater valve? If so, has the rubber tube fallen off the tiny spigot?

Maybe you have an air lock from refilling?

Removing the viscous fan improves it, all things being equal.

They sure do when working properly.

Do you have a 4 way heater valve? If so, has the rubber tube fallen off the tiny spigot?

Maybe you have an air lock from refilling?

Removing the viscous fan improves it, all things being equal.

4 way heater valve???? where will i find this if its any help its a 91 h

cheers joe.

Guest DiscoTD4
hi do these discoverys actually put heat out of there heaters ?i have replaced thermostat refilled with correct amount of antifreeze etc and still no noticeable heat .

i drive to work (20 miles) each day and still dont get warm ??the needle only touches the first white line on the gauge ,i have earthed wire out from sender unit and it puts needle up to the top .

do i just have to wear an extra coat or is there something i can try ?? :(:( any help welcome .

cheers joe.

I replaced the thermostat on my TDi300 recently (which was stuck open a few mm) and now even in -3 degC she is warmed up bang in the middle of the guage within a few miles and the heater really chucks out some heat. Viscous fan also fitted.

I had an air block in the heater and system after refilling which required bleeding from the plug on the stat housing to cure.

Seems there maybe more than one fault :

1) an air lock in the heater matrix - are the in and out feeds cold to the heater matrix ?

2) faulty gauge given a low reading even though the engine has warmed up

3) faulty stat / or rubber sealing ring

Does the top rad hose start to get noticeably warm before reaching running temp ? This would indecate a stat opening too early or the rubber seal leaking. Mine stays cold until and then bang the stat opens and it gets hot.

Good luck

'91. Well you won't have a viscous fan then.

yes there is :)

200tdi's are overcooled from the start anyway. had the same problem on my old one last year - best advice is to remove the viscous fan altogether, it's not really needed this time of year anyway.

the other option is to use some gaffa tape across the grille (mask off the rad only though - not the cooler) blocking the cold air flow to the rad, this helped mine a bit.

never got round to removing the fan, sold it and got a v8 instead, nice and toasty now :)