300 Tdi dash wiring

Snagger

Hi folks,

I have post this question in the Discovery forum because it's more likely to get a useful answer than in the Range Rover side. I have a late (soft dash) 300Tdi RRC, which has similar wiring and mechanicals to the 300 Discovery.

I am getting frequent problems with starting - the starter motor cuts in and out, banging away on the ring gear. The starter motor, battery, factory alarm/immobiliser and the foot well starter relay have all been replaced with no effect, so I'm confident that none of them are at fault. The problem seems worst in the cold weather, especially when damp.

I have a Microscan immobiliser in addition to the factory unit. In attempting to bypass it, to eliminate it from the list of possible faults, I found some alterations to the dash wiring that have nothing to do with the additional immobiliser. I'd like to remove them, just in case they may be the cause of the trouble, but want to confirm that they are redundant - I think they may have been for the previous owner's car-phone.

There is a relay that has a red power feed from the brown wire on the brown plastic connector block next to the steering column (I think that brown wire runs to the ignition switch). The relay appears to be controlled by a brown wire spliced to a brown cable with yellow stripe on a main harness connector block. The relay's earth is fitted, but there seems to be no output. There is a redundant single 27A wire running along the rights side sill which may have been connected to this relay, but is coiled up in the bottom of the foot well.

There are also a collection of in-line fuse holders spliced into a connector block with a redundant small connector block for all these fused wires at the end. Again, these appear to be added, not factory, and I'm guessing at them being for the phone system.

Can anyone shed any more light before I pull them out, please?

post-4758-1228561894_thumb.jpg

post-4758-1228561901_thumb.jpg

post-4758-1228561912_thumb.jpg

post-4758-1228561918_thumb.jpg

Hi folks,

I have post this question in the Discovery forum because it's more likely to get a useful answer than in the Range Rover side. I have a late (soft dash) 300Tdi RRC, which has similar wiring and mechanicals to the 300 Discovery.

I am getting frequent problems with starting - the starter motor cuts in and out, banging away on the ring gear. The starter motor, battery, factory alarm/immobiliser and the foot well starter relay have all been replaced with no effect, so I'm confident that none of them are at fault. The problem seems worst in the cold weather, especially when damp.

I have a Microscan immobiliser in addition to the factory unit. In attempting to bypass it, to eliminate it from the list of possible faults, I found some alterations to the dash wiring that have nothing to do with the additional immobiliser. I'd like to remove them, just in case they may be the cause of the trouble, but want to confirm that they are redundant - I think they may have been for the previous owner's car-phone.

There is a relay that has a red power feed from the brown wire on the brown plastic connector block next to the steering column (I think that brown wire runs to the ignition switch). The relay appears to be controlled by a brown wire spliced to a brown cable with yellow stripe on a main harness connector block. The relay's earth is fitted, but there seems to be no output. There is a redundant single 27A wire running along the rights side sill which may have been connected to this relay, but is coiled up in the bottom of the foot well.

There are also a collection of in-line fuse holders spliced into a connector block with a redundant small connector block for all these fused wires at the end. Again, these appear to be added, not factory, and I'm guessing at them being for the phone system.

Can anyone shed any more light before I pull them out, please?

Post added to enable e-mail notification (ignore this reply).