Antifreeze problem

Schwabert

Hi-

I was getting the low coolant warning on my info center, so I topped it up. The only problem is that I added green antifreeze to orange (red) that was in the system. I'm thinking of flushing the system in case it is bad, but can't find the damn drain plug! So basically two questions:

1. is mixing green and red antifreeze going to be a problem? the original is prestone (i'm pretty sure) and the top up was peak.

2. where is the drain plug?

I've read on this forum that the plug is plastic and to replace it with a brass plug. Where would I get such a plug? How would I install it? Please keep your answers basic. I can change a tire and the oil, but that's about it when it comes to the engine.

I'm also looking for LR3/Disco 3 service manuals, but can't seem to find them on the web. Any help would be great. I love my land rover and really want to keep it in good shape. Thanks in advance for your help.

schwabert

Normally, you shouldn't mix green with red/pink/orange antifreeze. Have a look at this: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?s=&s...ost&p=92222

The part numbers are good for D3 as well. It's the same OAT antifreeze.

If you say it has Prestone in it, it depends which one. Some are miscible, some not.

There is a drain plug on the lower right side of the radiator. Also one on the rear left side of the engine if you don't have the preheating option (I think this plug is higher so it's no use here). You can also remove the bottom hose from the radiator.

There are no service manuals on the web. You can go to http://www.landrovertechinfo.com (13-15 $/day) and access the info as dealers do.

Actually this is true for mixing silicate based AF (usually green) and OAT based AF (usually orange/pink). The silicates mix with the acids and the result precipitates.

The red stuff could be something else. There is at least one red dyed AF I know of (used on some Toyota's) that can be mixed with the green ones because it is the same stuff (silicate based). So watch out, red dyed AF doesn't always mean it's an OAT AF!

The general idea of not mixing different kinds of AF is that you don't know which corrosion inhibitors are used and you can't predict how will these will interact with each other. This might result in a reduced corrosion protection.

I hear that OAT tends to turn into gunge anyway and does not last as long as claimed. There is a class action suit on in the States against Cadillac over this.

Greenies like OAT because it is non-poisonous so your pussy cat is safe in the garage. Personally I stick to ethylene glycol, and test and change it often. I test for PH (must be above 8.5) and strength above 40%. Don't drink the green stuff - it turns into formaldehyde in the body. OTOH the antidote is ethanol, so you can have fun while being cured :)

Here's an interesting link to the Cadillac problems:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/23/gm-dexc...action-status/2