300tdi cylinder head on a 200tdi block?

trailerfitter

Hi,, I am sure there is a topic on here but can't quite lay my eyes on it,....I have a 200tdi engine minus the head but have a 300tdi head in good condition waiting to be used,...the head gasket is the same so should fit,...cam followers push rods are the same part numbers although the rockers shaft and rocker arms are different,.......

the 2 main things that concern me are the injector pumps between the 2 engines,...will the 300 tdi FIP fit the 200tdi with no problem?

and the combustion process since the torroidal on the 300tdi is in the middle of the piston whereas the 200tdi is offset..incidently the 300tdi injector protrusion through the head is 2mm difference towards the centre of the cylinder than the old slugger 200tdi............

okay so please tell me somebody has achieved a conversion easily????

It looks as if you should fit 300Tdi pistons if you use the 300Tdi head. The injector has to be directly above the protrusion in the centre of the hole in the piston. I know this because we had one engine where the injectors hit the pistons. Caused possibly by decking the head and the pistons but not checking piston to injector clearance. The engine was running fine apart from being worn.

The 300Tdi combustion chamber is not quite in the centre of the piston which is why it is important to fit the pistons the right way round.