Death Wobble

Just my opinion but my steering damper was also US so I changed it and it did improve somewhat. BUT I feel the reason the old one was knacked was due to the constant shaking it was dealing with and not the cause of the problem. A new one just was able to mask the problem more effectively. A well set-up steering should not need a damper for most normal road work. If yours is knackered it must be taken as a sign that there is another underlying problem.

presumably the preload needs set to put the correct loading on the bearings...

Randomly removing some shims will mean the bearing might be under too much preload, and will likely fail pretty quickly if thats the case.

Of course. But to what value? I will go for 3,6-4,5 kg as soon as I get some more one-shot. I'm quite confident that it's still less than 4,5.

I did actually try with another PAS box since that was the only thing I had left. When there was no change i had another search at the forum and gave swivel preload a second try.

A well set-up steering should not need a damper for most normal road work. If yours is knackered it must be taken as a sign that there is another underlying problem.

Yep I agree with that but as I found a faulty damper will only make any possibly minor problems worse.

I did briefly try mine without the faulty damper to see if it made it better or worse & it did improve matters slightly (I could at least manage to hold onto the Steering Wheel and keep some control).

Colin.