r/h-lh??

joe sharpe

Could be either joe, depending which way round the tie bar is. I would buy a pair on the basis that if one is worn so is the other, they are not that expensive after all. If you want to save a few quid you are going to have to get underneath with your spanners.

cheers guys for the very quick replys .

all the best joe :rolleyes:

I suppose you were asking about the track rod fitted to a Discovery, not the track rod on a Defender, not the drag link.

If that's the case then:

- the track rod cannot be fitted the other way round because of the bracket to where the steering damper attaches

- the track rod is made of two pieces, the shorter one is for adjusting the tracking as the long one (the one with the bracket) cannot be rotated

- the short piece is left hand threaded at one end (you can clearly see that in the pic below) so the other end must be right hand threaded

- therefor both ball joints are threaded the same way and that is right hand threaded.

Joe, I suggest buy two pieces (both RH threaded) and replace both at the same time.

post-1725-1229295686_thumb.jpg

I suppose you were asking about the track rod fitted to a Discovery, not the track rod on a Defender, not the drag link.

That statement is a bit confusing. Are you talking about Discovery or Deafener, as it's in the Discovery Section.

the thread at the box end is right hand thread, at the other end of the front drag link is right hand thread too, the rear arm connected to the nsf wheel is left hand thread and the rear arm to the osf hub is right hand thread. i made the mistake of assuming that i'd need two right hand thread and two left hand thread ball joints. you need 3 rht, and 1 lht. and bear in mind you will probably need new draglinks, my rear one was seized solid, tried using oxy acetylene and it set on fire before it wanted to release the ball joint

That's only partly correct.

Indeed, there are 3 RH and 1 LH threaded ball joints for the drag link and track rod together.

But you can't have same hand threaded joints on the drag link (that is the rod in front, between the steering box and the opposite wheel) because is a one piece rod and you'll have no means for a fine adjustment.

ooo hang on, i did get that wrong, the front drag link has a right hand thread and left hand threaded balljoint, left for nsf and right for osf. the rear has two right hand threaded balljoints because of the adjuster bar that is fitted into the drag link.

Sorry, it was a bit late when i wrote it.

My disco is a 97 300tdi if that makes any difference as to the layout but i doubt very much that it will change across models

That's only partly correct.

Indeed, there are 3 RH and 1 LH threaded ball joints for the drag link and track rod together.

But you can't have same hand threaded joints on the drag link (that is the rod in front, between the steering box and the opposite wheel) because is a one piece rod and you'll have no means for a fine adjustment.

The one I had was fitted with a tie bar that went straight from one wheel to the other . One end lh thread and one rh thread. Sounds like it must have been fitted with a defender tie bar at some stage.