Weird Gearbox Behaviour

disco_al

Well, this is a strange one that will get some heads scratching.

Drove into work Saturday, no problems, indications of impending doom or anything untoward. Reversed into my parking space, handbrake on, into neutral, engine off. Left it there.

Finished work at 1pm, started it up, wouldn't go into gear.....strange. No amount of wiggling would make it work. So borrowed a van to get home with and organised a tow home later on from a mate with a defender.

Came back in lateron to fetch it, tried an A frame first, wouldn't fit under the Bull Bar, Grrr, so strapped a tow rope to the axle (still waiting for some Jate rings to arrive) gave it a tug to pull it tight and got in. Started the engine, and thought i would try and get it into gear again, before we set off - it went straight in and has been fine all weekend.

Any suggestions as to where to look? I have a few days booked off over the festive season, so can get under it for a good poke and prod :ph34r: .Fluid in clutch reservoir is fine, no signs of any leaks anywhere, no funny noises, bangs, crashes or clungs, in fact behaving normally (well, as normal as a near 20 year old disco can be :) )

It's quite confusing.

Guest DiscoTD4

Hi disco_al

I wonder if the slave or master seals are on the way out.

Did the clutch pedal feel the same as normal ?

Also did you try turning the engine off then try to put into gear with engine off (might be worth checking this if it happens again) ?

If say the clutch slave/master seals are on the way out, preventing sufficient hydraulic pressure to operate the clutch it would have been a case of trying to put into gear without the clutch being dis-engaged, although I would have thought that would make a grinding noise ? (I've never been brave enough to try that) <_<

Cheers for now

clutch pedal did appear to feel a bit lighter, just seems strange that it suddenly went, and has been fine ever since. trying to put it into gear with the engine off was fine IIRC, but as soon as the engine was running, it wouldn't go at all.

usually when the seals start to go in the slave/master, pumping the pedal will build enough pressure to release it, but it didn't in this case.

may get hold of a slave cyl just to be safe, and change that next week when i am off