Oil

KARATEKA

Hi i have a 1993 Disco with 201678 miles on the clock and want to do an oil change i just wanna know what is the best for a diesel oil with high miles and how long do the engines go on for would like to see 300k on it lol ,

Use a good quality semi-synthetic.

Millers Oil have an excellent reputation and sell a range of diesel semi-synthetic oils through independent motor shops/factors and are sensibly priced.

A 10/40 would be suitable.

http://www.millersoils.net/

XFE 10w40 Oil - 5 Litre

A high quality semi-synthetic diesel engine oil of SAE 10W/40 viscosity.

APPLICATION:

Recommended for use in diesel engines fitted to cars and light vans. Suitable for both turbocharged and non turbo engines.

USER BENEFITS:

Will allow fuel economy and engine performance to be maximised. Enhanced protection is provided against wear and corrosion. XFE is specially formulated to minimise deposits and maintain a high level of engine cleanliness.

PERFORMANCE PROFILE:

ACEA B3 and B4

API CH-4, CI4

Mercedes 228.3

Rover

VW 505.00

PSA

5 Litre £19.99

I buy mine here - http://www.a1motorstores.co.uk/storefinder.php?product=6977

I am sure more expert advice will be along shortly.

John

ok i will get some 10/40 oil in there when i done the change do you think i should put some engine flush in the oil before i change it ,

I don't know when it last had a service as i only had it 4 weeks but i have all new fitters / glow plugs new battery and going to get the cam belt done as i want loads more miles out of the engine

ok i will get some 10/40 oil in there when i done the change do you think i should put some engine flush in the oil before i change it ,

I don't know when it last had a service as i only had it 4 weeks but i have all new fitters / glow plugs new battery and going to get the cam belt done as i want loads more miles out of the engine

Hi there K, what I do when I buy another car and want to ensure long life for the engine is to do an oil change putting in some supermarket oil 10w-40, run it for about 100 miles then do an oil and filter change.

The idea is that the cheap oil will wash out the inside of the engine and then you replace the cheap oil with good stuff, semi synth.

Incidently, whenever you do oil changes, do make sure that you get the engine hot and you leave the old oil a long time to empty out thoroughly. I usually undo the sump plug leave the oil to empty out, then start something else - changing the air and fuel filters, draining the oil out of the axles, having a cup of coffee!! Anything that allows the engine oil perhaps an hour to fully discharge the old oil - if you do this the new oil stays cleaner for MUCH longer !!

Good luck

Dave