Seatbelts for S3 SWB soft top

oilyoldcow

I'm thinking of replacing the hardtop on my S3 SWB for a soft top for the summer, but what do I do about the inertia reel seatbelts. I assume I'll need a rollbar/cage to attach them to? Or do/can I legally change them to static belts like the centre seat? Can anyone advise?

On my Series III the Inertia reel part of the seat belt (IYSWIM) is bolted to the top of the bulkhead just behind the seats. It was like that when we bought it and it passed MOT's with no problem.

Ivan

On my Series III the Inertia reel part of the seat belt (IYSWIM) is bolted to the top of the bulkhead just behind the seats. It was like that when we bought it and it passed MOT's with no problem.

Ivan

Thanks Ivan, but how does that work? I thought they had to sit vertically?

Do you have a photo of the IYSWIM in place?

Paul

Thanks Ivan, but how does that work? I thought they had to sit vertically?

Do you have a photo of the IYSWIM in place?

Paul

Think Ivan's maybe like the drivers side on a MIL 109, except that the unit is on the back of the bulkhead, the D loop mounted on the top of the bulkhead and over the shoulder of the driver just like a standard way you would expect.

Here's my Ex-MIL 109 FFR with three-point harnesses that pick up on the original mounts, excpet that the top strap goes to where the D loop originally was and the hole in the bulkhead is still spare:

DSCF1375.jpg

Think Ivan's maybe like the drivers side on a MIL 109, except that the unit is on the back of the bulkhead, the D loop mounted on the top of the bulkhead and over the shoulder of the driver just like a standard way you would expect.

Here's my Ex-MIL 109 FFR with three-point harnesses that pick up on the original mounts, excpet that the top strap goes to where the D loop originally was and the hole in the bulkhead is still spare:

DSCF1375.jpg

Think I've got that!

So the D Loop acts as a guide mounted on the top of the bulkhead immediately below and in line with the applicable (Left or Right) shoulder, the inertial reel being mounted below that (inverted) on the bulkhead wall, probably close to the floor, but not so close as to foul it in anyway?

I'll give it a go, or I suppose I could just copy your fitting and have a three point harness. Is it comfortably or do you find it restrictive for road driving?

Thanks for your time and for posting the photo. All I need now is sticks and a tilt.

regards

Paul

Think I've got that!

So the D Loop acts as a guide mounted on the top of the bulkhead immediately below and in line with the applicable (Left or Right) shoulder, the inertial reel being mounted below that (inverted) on the bulkhead wall, probably close to the floor, but not so close as to foul it in anyway?

I'll give it a go, or I suppose I could just copy your fitting and have a three point harness. Is it comfortably or do you find it restrictive for road driving?

Thanks for your time and for posting the photo. All I need now is sticks and a tilt.

regards

Paul

yeah pretty much as you have guessed :) Haven't done much driving in it yet as Dad has had the chance to take it to the MoT station and back to get the MoT for the age related registration, he had no issues :)

Just got the chance to take a photo in the light from in the load area:

DSCF1838.jpg

As you can see the three point harness's are mounted onto the top of the bulkhead, however for the driver there is this additional riveted spreader plate as you can see in the middle of the photo, that the inertia reel is bolted to, IIRC the inertia reel was mounted to the front of the bulkhead and the lashing then went straight up to the D loop, which being pulled forwards then allowed for the lashing to go over the drivers right shoulder and do the rest of it's merry journey.

Just got the chance to take a photo in the light from in the load area:

DSCF1838.jpg

As you can see the three point harness's are mounted onto the top of the bulkhead, however for the driver there is this additional riveted spreader plate as you can see in the middle of the photo, that the inertia reel is bolted to, IIRC the inertia reel was mounted to the front of the bulkhead and the lashing then went straight up to the D loop, which being pulled forwards then allowed for the lashing to go over the drivers right shoulder and do the rest of it's merry journey.

I am really impressed that you have taken the time and effort to photograph this for me, thank you.

Just to check though, are you saying that the inertia reel is mounted on the cargo bay side or the cabin side (surely it would foul the seat) of the spreader plate? Also, your plate is pretty close to where my fuel filler is located which may cause problems. My landie is away having some welding pre mot at present, but I will let you know how I get on and post photos.

Thanks again!

Paul

I am really impressed that you have taken the time and effort to photograph this for me, thank you.

Just to check though, are you saying that the inertia reel is mounted on the cargo bay side or the cabin side (surely it would foul the seat) of the spreader plate? Also, your plate is pretty close to where my fuel filler is located which may cause problems. My landie is away having some welding pre mot at present, but I will let you know how I get on and post photos.

Thanks again!

Paul

Nay problem ;)

Believe cabin side, as the bulkhead is recessed on the cabin side (top rail protrudes forwards, hence flush to panel on cargo side) and that the seats I believe typically have the stand-off plates with rubbers for the bog-standard seats (Passenger side certainly has on mine), so you in theory should have space for the inertia reel and for the lashing to come up to the D loop :) will see if I can get a photo of the passenger seat stand-offs

Here we go, this was what I had on the passenger side, easist picture I could find at this moment as when I was stripping the truck:

DSCF0389.jpg

Believe the drivers side is meant to have these as well, therefore your seat cushion then doesn't trap the lashing between the cushion and the bulkhead top