suspension advice please

turborange

hello people i looking at doing a suspension lift on the disco but would like to know what are the advantages and disadvantages of using blocks instead of springs?

Also:

What size blocks can i use (safely)?

How much difference will a lift make to the onroad/towing?

what lift can i go to before i have to change the prop?

I have a 1990 disco 200tdi with no anti-roll bars.

Welcome turborange to the Disco Forum. I cannot answer your question, not knowing anything about blocks.

It is a good idea to put your Landy model and age in your signature, then you don't have to keep repeating it. If you put your location in your profile it also helps with the answers you will get.

Have fun in here :)

i have the 50mm blocks, 50mm lift springs and longer shocks.. if you are getting the blocks get the thickest wall you can on them... you dont want flimsy metal holding your axles to the rest of your motor..

i would need a huge drop plate for the tow ball if i wanted to tow a trailer or the back of it would drag along the floor...

on road handling is not brilliant either but i am getting a set of wheel spacers to try to resolve this...

also moved my brake lines down from the body so they are not going to snap but will buy longer ones once i get round to it..

also just keep the u.j's greased and they have been ok.. have spare props here anyway if they do bugger up so not bothered about it too much!!

Hi, The look would be the same regardless of whether you use springs or blocks. I think the issue you would have is that the dampers won't be long enough to get full articulation. You could invest in a set of -2" droppers to overcome this I guess. That would lower the top of the rear shocks by 2" this giving you max again. I'd be tempted to get longer shocks though so that you could benefit from this. Don't forget that all your doing is raising the body by 2", but the axles are still the same hight. Bigger tyres are a must when you raise the body so that the arches are filled. It also raises the whole car up thus allowing better off roading.

The Disco is already very top heavy, so by raising it, you are raising the COG and it will roll more on bends. Do you have Anti Roll Bars? These would reduce but not eliminate the roll. They do however also reduce the articulation. You need to decide what you want this car to do and how you want it to drive.

Raising it will also put your steering, so you can use castor correction bushes or cranked radius arms to sort this. Lots of people just put up with it.

If you put bigger tyres on, the two things to bear in mind, your speedo will be out of Cal and it will under-read the speed. Your gearing will all be to put. 5th will seem like an overdrive, and you will need to change gear as soon as you hit a slope. Again not a huge problem. Acceleration will be affected too!

For info, Mine is raised by 2" using springs and shockers and longer brake lines. Haven't bothered with cranked arms etc. I just put up with the not so good drive as it's great off road now!

Hope this helps

Dave