FAO David Sparkes - blend motors

donaldh

David,

I've just been reading your advice for replacing blend motors as posted on www.p38a.co.uk

At the start of the doc, you suggest to go to "Heating and Ventilation; Repair; Blend Flap Servos - Heater only". Is this because you have a heater only system, or because it's more helpful than the "Heating and Air Conditioning Servos" section that requires you to remove the fascia first?

As you can imagine, I don't plan to "remove fascia assembly", especially considering that the instructions run to 7 pages.

"because it's more helpful than the "Heating and Air Conditioning Servos" section that requires you to remove the fascia first?"

Correct.

The 'Heater only' section tells you that it is possible to access the blend motors without removing the fascia, so follow those steps until you can't, because there is a duct in the way.

Then figure out how to move the duct enough to get round it, or inside it.

I think the rest of the article comments give you the neccessary clues.

For the record, my car has the full Climate Control, therefore the Air Conditioning, therefore the ducts that impede access to the blend motors.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info David. I've put the words into action and can see exactly what you mean now.

Unfortunately I think it's going to get a lot more interesting because I have discovered coolant leaking out of the heater and soaking into the driver's carpet. I'm guessing that I'll have no choice but to remove the fascia if I need to replace the heater matrix. How depressing.

"I have discovered coolant leaking out of the heater"

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure the coolant is from inside the heater?

Remember the O rings are over the RH drivers footwell, and they are the common source of wet drivers carpet.

They can be done without taking the fascia out, but that's one of those jobs I haven't had to tackle. I think it's a hidden advantage of a diesel, but I believe some diesel owners have had to do them, so I've just been lucky.

David, I think you're right but I'll need to dry everything and then watch it for a couple of days to confirm that it is only the matrix o-rings leaking.

I've read the whole section on www.p38a.co.uk about replacing the o-rings and it looks straightforward enough. Hopefully that's all it is.