How to wire up 200tdi Thermostat

djbrookes

Hi lads,

Hope someone can help....

I have a 200tdi from a 1993 Disco fitted into my 1982 S3 88". The engine has been running fine for around 4 months now but have never had the engine temperature gauge working on the dash. I connected the wires but think I must have done it wrong somewhere along the line because even if I do 77mph ;) in the Landy the gauge still stays at the bottom. The gauge is a new one so that cant be faulty.

Please could somebody help me to work out how to wire it in?

Thanks in advance

Josh

You'll need a gauge and a sender that are matched to each other otherwise you will probably never get it to read right. In theory you can get it to "sit in the middle" by trial and error using a resistor in the circuit but it is not an ideal solution - a matched gauge and sender are the way to go.

Hi lads,

Hope someone can help....

I have a 200tdi from a 1993 Disco fitted into my 1982 S3 88". The engine has been running fine for around 4 months now but have never had the engine temperature gauge working on the dash. I connected the wires but think I must have done it wrong somewhere along the line because even if I do 77mph ;) in the Landy the gauge still stays at the bottom. The gauge is a new one so that cant be faulty.

Please could somebody help me to work out how to wire it in?

Thanks in advance

Josh

You'll need a gauge and a sender that are matched to each other otherwise you will probably never get it to read right. In theory you can get it to "sit in the middle" by trial and error using a resistor in the circuit but it is not an ideal solution - a matched gauge and sender are the way to go.

As the man said a matched sender and gauge. Then connect up the ignition feed and the wire from the sender. To test the wire from the sender and the gauge all you have to do is switch the ignition on and earth the wire at the sender end. if that doesn't work then go to the gauge and earth the sender wire at the gauge ( make sure you have the right wire first or flash, bang wolop ). check that you are getting votage at ignition feed on the gauge with a simpe test lamp.

I put a disco 200TDi engine in a 110, that previously had a knackered TD. The temp sender from the TD actually went straight ion temp sender hole on the TDi engine. If that works you could probably get an temp gauge from a defender TD. Which is probably the same as any other (earlier) guage??