Looking to buy a P38 of RRC on LPG

yellow

I am in the market for a Range Rover, budget till about 3000 pounds.

Now, having had a look at the usual suspects, like eBay, Autotrader, Motors.co.uk, etc, I have seen plenty of P38s that have around 100-120k miles. I am from a diesel-upbringing, and have recently concentrated a bit more on V8 Defenders, so I am familiar with the fuel of the gods, but what can I expect from a P38 V8 (4.0 or 4.6) with that kind of mileage?

Like I said, I have a budget, but do not want to break the bank afterward by having to add a new engine. (alternatively, how much would a new engine put me back?)

My shopping list would be:

- Range Rover

- V8 on LPG

- Good condition

- wife does not really like red, I am no fan of green.

- Wife wants leather, pref cream coloured

Last sunday I went for a drive, uppy downy hilly B-roads, snow, bit of right foot

out of junctions. Had reset the trip computer before starting and at the end it

showed 14.6L/ 100Km with 265.75x16 tyres which are about 7% larger than standard dim.

RR P38 4.6 on petrol.

On a long motorway journey cruising at between 110- 120Km/h I have seen 12.2L/ 100Km.

Mmmm... This is good info, but what I was looking for, was the average number of miles I would get out of the engine itself.

I mean, would I be looking at a new engine around 120000 or 150000 or 100000? (Averages please... I know there's plenty of 'lady-owners' out there with a heavy right foot...)

Also, what would a new engine set me back? I checked the RPi website, are there other 'preferred' suppliers of better than 'Orange' quality and repute?

Mmmm... This is good info, but what I was looking for, was the average number of miles I would get out of the engine itself.

I mean, would I be looking at a new engine around 120000 or 150000 or 100000? (Averages please... I know there's plenty of 'lady-owners' out there with a heavy right foot...)

Also, what would a new engine set me back? I checked the RPi website, are there other 'preferred' suppliers of better than 'Orange' quality and repute?

Difficult this one.

It depends on the bloke that built the engine at LR, the quality control checker, maintanance by

the previous owners, and luck.

My engine is coming up to 148.000Km, runs fine revs freely upto 5000/5500RPM

and seems to be in good condition. A friend at work has a 4.0 that is coming up to

200.000Km. Another in our clique at work (there are about 7 of us with P38) had a liner

let go at about 110.000Km on a 4.6, new engine from LR, that from the start had the

same ticking symptoms as his first engine. Got another replacement engine from LR

and seems fine.

I wouldn't go to RPI, but that is my opinion based on expirience. I would use either

V8 Developments or Turner based on others expirience.

The odds are better though.

To be honest the porous block/ slipped liner problem isn't that big.

I think it has been hyped in the media and is an old wifes tale that seems to

have grown beyond it's scope.

YOu can get unlucky of course, and there are no hard and fast rules to find

'the good engine'. You can take precautions and have various checks done,

(exhaust gas in coolant, etc) but if the vehicle has been well maintained, looks

clean, no obvious issue's then there shouldn't be a problem.

After all how many 3.9L+ blocks have been made and how many have had problems?