TD5 MAF sensor

Haavard Guttormsen

I have read somewhere on the net that the MAF sensor is just for EGR issues. Is this for real?

If I remove (it is gone) the EGR system do I need the MAF sensor at all?

I wan't to get rid of all the stuff I do not need in my setup.

Visit My Website

No, you need it whether you have EGR or not. Try disconnecting it and see how your engine runs to find out. Doing that will not do any harm by the way.

My advice is to read what a MAF sensor is. You can start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_airflow_sensor

Then you'll be able to reply your own question.

At but the real purpose of the TD5 MAF is to tell Testbook that there's a fault when there really isn't!! Had three new genuine new ones and it still says there's a fault!!

I heard of one customer who tried 6 from LR before he found a good one. Luckily LR accepted that they were shi*e so replaced them FOC.

I have never fitted a 'dud' new Air Flow Meter, out of about 5 or 6 so far. But it is possible to have a fault in the cable to the ECU.

I don't know what exactly it does, but the engine runs a lot better when it is working. The normal reading at idle is 46-7 kg/min. When you rev it it goes above 100.

I have never fitted a 'dud' new Air Flow Meter, out of about 5 or 6 so far. But it is possible to have a fault in the cable to the ECU.

I don't know what exactly it does, but the engine runs a lot better when it is working. The normal reading at idle is 46-7 kg/min. When you rev it it goes above 100.

Quite possibly? But the fact that a main dealer is prepared to replace 5 of them FOC says it all really!!