90 Rear drum brake problem

Hi from a Newbie!

I have just replaced the rear brake shoes and brake cylinders on a 1985 90 that I am restoring. Parts are from Paddock and look the same as the old ones however when I put the drums back on and tighten the wheelnuts the brakes bind and the wheels are almost impossible to turn by hand. I have checked the "how to" section of this forum and the Haynes manual and I am 99% sure that I have refitted everything as shown taking particular care to get the springs on correctly. The aduster snail is fully slackened and the drums are not badly scored. I am stumped - any advise would be appreciated!

Mike.

Hello

Have you centralised the shoes? Try putting pressure on the brake pedal, then see if they have freed up.

If they have, then adjust up as usual.

Another thing you could check is for a build up of rust around the inside of the drum. The nice square edges

of new shoes will often drag on this, and there will also be an unworn rim around the drum.

Hi Briarston thanks for the reply.

The insides of the drums are reasonably clear of rust and there is no noticible un-worn rim. However the brake pipes are not connected since I am in the course of replacing them all. Is it possible that this could be the cause because I cannot centralise the shoes yet?

Mikek

Hi Briarston thanks for the reply.

The insides of the drums are reasonably clear of rust and there is no noticible un-worn rim. However the brake pipes are not connected since I am in the course of replacing them all. Is it possible that this could be the cause because I cannot centralise the shoes yet?

Mikek

Hello Mikek

Yes, this could be the problem. You could try knocking around the drums with a copper or hide hammer, and also

on the face of the drum.

If the wheels won't turn, did you have to knock the drums on? The shoes can sometimes drag on the unworn/ rust

rim at the edge of the drum and tilt and wedge. Knocking on the drum face will sometimes "jump" them into place.

Did the brakes tighten up when you fitted the wheels? If so, try loosening the wheel nuts and see what happen.

Give the drums and back plates a bit of a knock while the are wheels off.

Given that you have new(unseized!)wheel cylinders, and everything is put together correctly, there can't be too

much wrong.

Hope this is some help!